Vetted Author Forum?

I looked and saw a couple of topics regarding “beginner’s boards” for stories which, for various reasons, never came about.

Could we possibly attack it from a different angle - by creating a board for author’s which have previously turned out quality work. Perhaps even have a requirement on the board to offer constructive criticism to 2 stories for every one that you personally post (to dial-up involvement in each other’s work). A new member would need to post a completed story of adequate quality in order to be invited to the board. The board would be open to viewing by all but posting only from vetted authors.

For new authors looking to join, you could have to be nominated by an active writer and approved by the mods.

Maybe no one’s interested, I’m just getting more and more tired of wading through bad writing and bumped posts by bad writers who are also whoring for attention. If I go away from the forum for a few weeks I worry I’ll end up missing one of the stories that was worth reading because it’ll be pushed down and lost in all the 200 word, unproofed, fapfics.

Re: Vetted Author Forum?

We got something like this started at DD. Not surprisingly, it’s gathering dust.

I don’t know about you, but most writers like to get feedback on their stories. If no one offers me constructive criticism, I will settle for “me want mooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!” posts. I don’t really care if replies to my stories are from writers or non-writers.

I see your point about stories that are utter crap getting posted. It’d be nice to skip the story if it is just two hundred words of misspelled words and grammar mistakes. I see gems now and then from new writers as well.

Here are some alternatives:

1.) No one may post to the vetted authors forum. Instead let the mods upvote the good stories to the vetted author’s forum.
2.) Allow anyone to reply to vetted stories.

3.) Alternatively, a story is a vetted story when it gets upvoted by a certain threshold of users.

No. I’ve seen 200-word fap-fests be celebrated (via direct posting) by more users than high-quality literature here. If you leave it to mob voting, you’ll see that crap wind up in the vetted section too.

Your first suggestion would put too much pressure on the MODs, they’re not going to want to keep track of that.

Your second suggestion is a good one - keep new threads to vetted authors, but allow anyone to reply. I like it.

I’ll second WBDaddy’s points on the third suggestion; a lot of crap gets strangely up-voted.

ALSO -

I don’t want to lose anything from the main forum. If a great story gets posted there, we can still see it. I just don’t want to slog through the main forum every time to find my favorite authors. It’s not like great first-time writings won’t still happen - they will, and the authors will be ask to be allowed into the vetted forum, and then we’ll grow that one too. At least, that’s the idea.

I can see one flaw in this: There are only two people who could vote to approve: Kita and Wingz. Based on their lack of desire to read anything with gay content you get an automatically exclusion of those individuals who write such stories but are excellent authors.

Maybe no one’s interested, I’m just getting more and more tired of wading through bad writing and bumped posts by bad writers who are also whoring for attention. If I go away from the forum for a few weeks I worry I’ll end up missing one of the stories that was worth reading because it’ll be pushed down and lost in all the 200 word, unproofed, fapfics.

If you see someone bumping their story just for the sake of bumping, please do let me know. I have no issues removing those posts and forcing them to drop back to where they originally were. In fact of the last 50 posts deleted, 43 of them were literally just bump.

Best reason to end the discussion right there considering the differences in sizes of the two communities as far as active members go.

There are two mods admins who are remotely active and in theory read everything that gets posted. There’s a good chance they will eventually disagree and no one to break the tie.

2.) Allow anyone to reply to vetted stories.

I can’t speak for Kita or Wingz, but personally I would never allow such a forum to exist and NOT allow replies from all members. Echo chambers are bad mm’kay.

3.) Alternatively, a story is a vetted story when it gets upvoted by a certain threshold of users.

Yeah, I can tell you why that will not work. Anyone remember the reputation system that was briefly enabled? Certain members who shall remain nameless abused the fuck out of it trying to bury posts by users they disagreed with. I don’t even want to think what those asses would do if such a system were in place for something like this.