The Incident Concerning October 31

Just a little Halloween story for you. I started last Halloween, actually, and decided to finish it this morning, one year later. Its based on a dream I had at one point. Enjoy.

They’ve asked me to tell this story to the best of my ability. I’d have written it myself, though that would take a much longer time.

The thick red blood oozed down his forehead, following the slight curves of his face like a river. The wound on the top of his bald head was horrid to see, as the skin had been peeled back and the broken skull was visible through all the red.

“You’re really good at this,” I said to him.

“You have to remember, my father was in the special effects industry for years,” Jeff replied. He went back to admiring his handy work in the mirror. If it was any other day of the year, you’d have been completely convinced that he had a serious injury to his head. Today was Halloween though.

“Do you need help with the knife?”

“No,” he replied, “I should be able to get it.” He began attaching the prop knife to his head in a fashion that it appeared as if a knife had been plunged into his head. “Honestly, this is professional quality work. Hollywood needs to hire me.”

“Seriously, it creeps me out just to look at you.”

“Then I know I’m doing this right,” he said with a smile. “So how is your costume coming along?”

I looked over to the bed where my costume was laying out. I sighed slowly.

“It’s…there.”

“You’re still not very fond of that costume, are you?”

“Not really,” I answered. “It’s a shame, because Diane did a really amazing job on it.”

I walked back over to the bed and sat next to the outfit. It reminded me of that fateful day where I had joked with my friend Diane that I was going to dress as a baby for Halloween. Sure enough, she took it and ran with it, yielding a very authentic looking baby outfit, perfectly sized for a woman. Essentially, it was a giant onesie, with an exaggerated bulky diaper-like undergarment to wear underneath it. The pale pink color of the outfit was detailed with little flowers and yellow ducks. There were even matching booties, a bonnet and a pacifier.

“She went a little overboard,” I said aloud, even though I wasn’t really talking to anyone in particular. “I think I would feel better about wearing this if it wasn’t so…real looking.”

“That’s true,” Jeff said with a laugh. “It’s kind of creepy, in a way.”

“I wish I could just be something else. A mummy or something. We have toilet paper, you know. You could just wrap me up in it.”

“This is Diane’s party, Aubrey. And she made you that costume. She’s going to be expecting you to be wearing it there.”

“I know, I know.”

“Don’t worry about it. Everybody there is going to be dressed up, you know.”

“Yeah. I guess it’ll be okay.”

“Of course it will. You should probably start getting ready, though. We’ve got to leave in twenty minutes.”

“Are you done making your head look gory? There is no way I’m putting this outfit on with you in the room.”

“Aww, are you sure?” Jeff teased. “Are you sure you don’t want me to diaper you?”

“I swear, Jeff, I will shove this pacifier so far down your throat.” We both laughed and he finally stood up and left the room.

I brushed my hand over the fabric of the costume. It was a really soft fabric, whatever it was. And it was well made too. I wondered if Diane had ever done this before. Thinking like this, I realized though, was only an attempt at distracting myself from getting ready for the party.

I pulled off my sweater and tossed it into the hamper before letting my sweatpants fall to the floor. I held the puffy ‘diaper’ in my hands and debated whether these were supposed to replace my panties or be worn over top of them. I had to laugh at the absurdity of that question, and I just went ahead and pulled them on over my underwear.

“Remember, you can’t piss yourself in these,” I said aloud to myself sarcastically.

The undergarments were the strangest things I had ever worn. They managed to completely emulate diapers without actually being diapers. The thick outer cloth was almost like a terry linen, while the inner fabric was much softer and silk like. In between the two layers was a lining of some fabric that was pretty bulky. It felt like I was wearing every pair of panties I owned at once.
I slipped the onesie over my head, next and I pulled it down over my bra and down to my waist as I slipped my arms in the sleeves. Reaching down between my legs, I pulled the fabric flap to the front of my waist where I buttoned it shut, sealing me into my baby clothes, mock-diaper and all.

I slipped my feet into the booties next, and I found them to be very comfortable. If they weren’t pink with lacey ruffles and adorned with bows, I would be happy keeping these around as slippers. I made a mental note to ask Diane to make me some slippers someday.

As I put the finishing touches together, putting the bonnet on and pinning the pacifier onto the sleeve of my onesie, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My cheeks blushed brighter than the pink fabric of my outfit. I brushed my curly blonde hair back.

Normally, I looked pretty young and juvenile. People never believed me when I said I was 22. Now, with this outfit, I could only imagine that upon setting foot outside I would be whisked away by a crazy woman looking for a baby to kidnap. I sighed again.

“Hey, Baby, are you done in there?” called Jeff from the living room.

“I’m coming!”

I stepped out from the bedroom and walked down the very short hallway of our apartment and into the living room where I found Jeff fussing over his head-wound in the full length mirror inside the coat closet.

“It looks fine,” I said,

“Yeah, I know, I just don’t want it to fall o-” He stopped and stared at me with his mouth agape and his eyes wide.

“Yes? Is something the matter?”

“Aubrey…you look like a damn baby!”

“Well then I guess I know I’m doing this right,” I said jokingly, mocking what he had said minutes ago.

“Seriously, babe, I can’t believe what I’m seeing. Diane did a knock-up job on that costume. You’re like a big baby…with tits, I guess.”

“Yeah,” I said with a grin, “don’t ever forget about my tits.”

“Are you ready?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be.”

“Let’s go. I don’t want to be late and miss all the good booze.”

“If you get drunk and make an ass out of yourself, I’ll replace that fake knife in your head with a real one.”

“Fair enough.”

I grabbed my coat and threw it on. It completely covered my outfit with the exception of my booties and my bonnet. As I neared the front door I realized that my bare legs were just asking for frost bite in the chilly autumn weather we were experiencing. Seeing no quick solution, though, I opted to just walk out the door as is. Thankfully it was only a short walk to Jeff’s car and soon we were on our way.

Diane, a good friend of mine for the past three or four years, was older than me and Jeff and married to boot. Of all my friends, she seemed like the most mature. She had a career. She had a house. She had the ability to throw parties.

“Are you ready?” Jeff asked as we stood at the front door of Diane’s house.

“I don’t care if I’m ready or not. I’m fucking cold.”

“Okay, then. In we go.”

The door was opened, we were inside and it was now officially too late to turn around and go back. Surprisingly, however, being in the house now wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. There were already a number of people here, and watching them all walking around, mingling, I saw a plethora of interesting costumes. Everything from a woman dressed as a tiger to a man in woman’s clothes. Surely, if they could be at this party and enjoy themselves without feeling self conscious about it, than so could I.

“That. Is. Adorable,” said a woman to me. She was dressed as a nurse, and she pronounced every word as if it was its own sentence.

“Thank you,” I said, blushing. I turned to Jeff, but he was already gone, mingling with some friends he spotted across the room.

“Well, if that isn’t the cutest little baby that I ever did see.” I knew immediately that it was Diane without even seeing her. She stepped into view at least and I couldn’t help but laugh. She had a sexy black dress on that barely made it to her thighs and the most ridiculously tight black boots I had ever seen. Adorning her head were some fluffy bunny ears and I suspected that I’d see a poofy white bunny tail on her behind if she were to turn around.

“A Playboy Bunny? Seriously?”

“Oh, come on, Aubrey, it looks good doesn’t it?”

“Almost too good. Damien was okay with you wearing this?”

“My husband is always supportive of what I want,” she said with a laugh, which I joined in on.

“You’re just asking for a barrage of drunken flirts tonight,” I added.

“What’s so bad about that?”

“Oh, Diane, you’re bad.”

“I can’t get over how cute you look, Aubrey,” she replied.

“Oh stop it.”

“No, seriously. You are the cutest little thing. I almost want to feed you a bottle.”

“I bet you did this on purpose,” I started with a sly smile. “You make me the baby so that you can be the attention whore Playboy bunny.”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing,” she said with a wink.

“You sly dog. Well if I’m feeling jealous of your attention, I’ll just throw a little tantrum, okay?”

We both shared a laugh again before we began walking together over to the table where she had an array of snacks and beverages set out.

“I can barely tell who most of these people are in costumes,” I said to her.

“Neither can I. I suspect that I didn’t invite everyone who is here right now.” We both laughed again.

The door opened again, this time three people walked in together, a man and two women. All three of them seemed to be adorned in black outfits and their faces were completely obscured by white and black face make-up in intricate designs. Their black cloaks dragged on the floor, and without a word they made their way to a relatively unoccupied section of the living room. There were quite a few confused glances from other party goers, but overall, nobody seemed to put much thought into it.

Meanwhile I glanced at Diane at the same moment that she looked at me.

“Who the hell are they?”

“I don’t know. They’re weird, though. I’ll go ahead and assume their friends of Damien’s.” She took a sip from the beer she just poured from the keg and I followed suit.

Two hours into the party, and you could see the wide spread effects of the alcohol on everyone. Most everyone was acting a lot more social than they had been upon arrival. The music was louder now. There was dancing, laughter and a general happy atmosphere. With the exception of the three weirdoes in black, everyone was enjoying the party. They remained in the same area as where they were when they got there, mostly just talking amongst themselves.

As for myself, I had completely given up on offering snotty rebuttals to the never-ending onslaught of comments about my infantile state. I could do without the frequent slaps to my padded bottom from tipsy party-goers, of course, but even that was getting easier to deal with thanks to my own alcohol consumption.

“If you need a diaper change, you let me know,” slurred Tom, a friend of ours who stumbled by with a beer in hand. I wasn’t even sure if he was dressed up or not, but it looks like he didn’t know either.

“Those guys are freaks,” Jeff said, appearing at my side.

“Which guys?”

“The ones over there in black.”

“Yeah, they’re kind of weird. Do you know them?”

“No idea who they are. Damien didn’t either. He went over to say hello, but he claims they just mumbled something that he couldn’t understand.”

“That’s weird.”

“Yeah. I think he wanted to ask them to leave, since they don’t really seem to belong here, and they’re not doing anything anyways.”

“Why doesn’t he?”

“I have no idea. Honestly, I think he’s scared of them.”

“They’re creepy people, no doubt.”

Diane joined us at that point, and she had a look of worry on her face.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Have you guys seen Damien?”

“No, not in a while, why?”

“I can’t find him anywhere. Nobody has seen him, actually. He won’t answer his cell phone either.”

“I saw him about an hour ago,” Jeff said. “He probably stepped out to get some something from the store.”

“Maybe,” replied Diane. “Though I don’t think there’s anything we’re out of.”

“Who knows. He probably had to get something and just forgot his cell phone.”

“I hope.”

Suddenly, at this moment, there was a shrill shriek that ran through the entire party. Everybody stopped cold in their tracks and looked at each other. A few silent moments passed before whispers started rumbling through the party. What was that? Who was that?

That question was answered as a woman stumbled out from the bathroom with a panicked expression on her face. All eyes were on her now as she frantically looked around the room. Myself, I didn’t recognize her, though I could’ve sworn I had seen that dress many times throughout the night. A passing thought in my mind was “Why didn’t she dress up for the party?”
“I…I…oh my god!” She let out another shriek and ran to the door where she quickly left the party, leaving everyone to share another moment or three of silence and confusion.

“She must’ve been wasted!” shouted someone, and it was met with laughter. Just as quickly as the event occurred, the party was getting back into the full swing of things again.

“Did you know who that was?” I asked Diane.

“No idea. Do you?”

“She doesn’t look familiar at all. But I know I’ve seen that obnoxious blue dress here tonight.”

“Yeah…” Diane replied, sounding like there were some serious gear turning going on in her mind. “Oh, I know where I’ve seen that dress!”

“Really? Where?”

“Rich Warton. He was wearing it.”

“Oh, that’s right!” I recalled our arrival at the party and my observation of a man dressed as a woman. It was what made me more comfortable about my own outfit.

“That was definitely not Rich,” she said.

“That’s for sure,” I said with a laugh. “Rich didn’t have a rack like that. Did you see those things?” We shared another laugh.

“God only knows what he was getting into if some other girl ended up with his dress on.”

“Make sure you clean out your bathroom real well,” I said with a smirk.

“Oh god…I didn’t think about…You don’t think that…”

“I hope he at least disposed of the condom wrapper.”

“Shut up! I’m sure that didn’t happen.”

“So where is Rich now?”

“I…hmm. I don’t know.”

“I can’t find Damien anywhere,” said Jeff, joining the two of us again.

“He was dressed as a scarecrow, right?”

“Yeah. And I don’t see any scarecrows around here. Ah well. Keep an eye out for me.”

“Sure,” replied Jeff. He waved goodbye and started back towards his friends when he stopped and turned around.

“Did you guys see that thing with the lady?”

“Yeah, we were just talking about it.”

“That was pretty messed up,” he said in a very sober voice.

“What do you mean?”

“Well me, Erik and Brent were talking to each other near the bathroom door when Rich came running past us like he had to throw up or something. He slams the door behind him and we
all just laugh and stuff. We just assume the guy has to throw up or something.”

“Great,” said Diane sarcastically.

“Well we forget about it and we’re talking and stuff. Eventually the door opens and this chick runs out, screaming and stuff.”

“Yeah, we saw that part.”

“It was the weirdest thing. None of us saw Rich leave, and we certainly didn’t see some woman go in there. I mean, obviously something had to happen, but I can’t believe that none of us saw that.”

“She was wearing Rich’s dress,” Diane said.

“Yeah…its fucked up.”

We heard rapid footsteps behind us now, and three of us turned around to see Mary Kelly, dressed as a clown, standing there out of breath.

“Did you guys see Damien,” Mary asked us.

“No…why?”

“Well we just out back smoking…and…I don’t know…can you come look at something?”

At the same time, we all looked at each other. I can’t say I’ve seen Diane scared before, but she looked scared right now. Without saying another word, we wormed our way through the crowd and into the kitchen where we went out the sliding back door onto the deck. From there we started looking into the dimly lit backyard, but were having trouble finding what Mary was talking about.
Another smoker, Steven, dressed as a police officer, noticed our confused look and pointed out into the backyard, showing us where to look.

“We didn’t know what to make of it earlier, either.”

Our eyes landed on what Steven and Mary had both seen. Sticking out from the ground, in the middle of an otherwise empty patch of lawn, was a tall and thick wooden post. Mounted on the post was a scarecrow, which might not have been very noteworthy except that this scarecrow was wearing the old flannel shirt and torn jeans that Damien had been wearing as part of his outfit.

“Wow,” said Diane with a smile. “I was worried for a second there.”

“What…what do you mean?” I asked. “What are Damien’s clothes doing on that scarecrow?”

“Don’t you get it? Damien is fucking with us. I have to admit, this is pretty funny. I can’t wait to kick his ass when he comes out of hiding.”

“So…you think this is a joke?”

“Most certainly. I say we don’t give him the satisfaction of worrying about it. Lets go back into the party.”

We walked back into the house and into the living room. But the party was suddenly a much different party than the one we had just walked out of moments ago. For one, the group of creepy people in black were gone.

More importantly, though, there wasn’t any dancing, and there wasn’t any laughing. The sounds we heard now were groans. There were moans. Crying. Sounds of agony. Confusion. The room seemed to spin to me, as I looked around. The things that I saw weren’t registering with my mind, as if my brain refused to believe it.

People were lying on the floor. Some were cradling their heads in their hands. I saw a very big object move from the bathroom and down the hall and up the stairs around the corner. It took quite a few moments before my brain caught up to my eyes.

“I think I just saw a…tiger? There is a tiger in the house.” I spoke softly, but loud enough so that Diane heard me.

“Okay…you saw that too.”

“I think.”

“Alright…so there is a tiger in my house, now.” We were too baffled to know what to do or say.

“What’s going on!” I heard a man scream. I looked to him and actually let out a small shriek of my own. The man, who had been dressed as a demon of some sort, was frantically clawing at his own face. He grabbed onto the realistic red horns sticking out of his head. He was pulling on them with all his might, but they weren’t coming out. It was as if they belonged there. His skin was a dark red and his eyes had become a bright yellow.

I turned to another part of the room where Steven was suddenly looking very authoritative and official in his police uniform. He had another woman, Margaret, in handcuffs. She w
asn’t looking too good herself. Her once humorous slutty prostitute costume was looking more authentic than anything else. She was trying to bribe Steven, muttering a stream of profane sexual suggestions to him.

Eyes wide, I turned back to Diane, but she wasn’t there. I turned around again. She wasn’t there. Soon, I was spinning in circles, but I couldn’t see her anywhere. That’s when I felt something bump into my foot. I looked down, but there was just a white rabbit, happily leaping about the floor.

“D-Diane…where are you? What’s going on here?”

There was no answer. I heard another scream from somewhere else in the house. Out of the corner of my eye, I could’ve sworn a giant bat just flew past the window.

“Jeff?” I called out. “Jeff…where are you?”

I found him. He was lying on the floor, not far from where I stood. He was on his back, his eyes were wide open and staring, unblinking, towards the ceiling. The fake blood on his face had seemed to expand…there was blood everywhere. On his head, pooled beneath it and oozing from his head on the floor. The once fake looking knife had a glimmering silver sheen to it now.

“Jeff…” was all I could say. I refused to believe any of this. It all had to be a lie. None of this could be real. I stumbled backwards, swatting away a bumblebee as I did so. There was what looked to be mermaid lying on the kitchen floor. A man in a Joker costume cried as he held the bottom part of his face in pain.

Then, suddenly, I began to feel weaker. Throughout my entire body there was a heavy weight, as if my body was becoming heavier than my frame could support. I held my hands out i
n front of me and stared at them for a moment. They seemed smaller. Paler. They were getting smaller.

No.

I was getting smaller. Everything else was getting bigger. I couldn’t stand on my feet anymore, and now I was falling. Things continued to get bigger around me as I fell. I hit the ground, and now I was having trouble moving well. I couldn’t sit up. Everything seemed so far away. I tried to look at my hands again.

They were tiny. My hands were so tiny now. I tried to scream for help, but instead I erupted into a fit of cries. Tears were running down my face. Nobody was paying attention to
me, they were all dealing with their own issues. Mary danced past me in her clown décor, honking a horn at me and laughing in the most maniacal manor. John McCain and Barack Obama were on the far end of the room, about ready to trade punches. I noticed a chicken waddling down the hallway moments before I made out the shape of the tiger in the darkness of the stairway, ready to pounce.

Myself, I felt hopeless. I was a baby. Somehow, someway, I had turned into an actual baby. Much in the way that Rich turned into a woman or that Jeff turned into an actual victim of a stab wound to the skull. It was miraculous that I could still think like this. I wondered if any moment, my consciousness would slip away, leaving me a completely naïve baby, to match my physical form.

For now, I was aware of my condition. And everyone else’s. I still couldn’t believe any of it. Yet, it was here, happening.

There was a sudden warmness between my legs, and I groaned as I felt the thick garment absorb this new wetness. Could it be that I was wetting myself? I was!

I was crying again now, though it was drowned out by far worse sounds at this point.

I’m telling you this now, from the comfort of my small dorm room. It’s pretty institutionalized, but it’s comfortable enough. We don’t get to reach out to anyone beyond these walls much.

I should feel lucky, I guess. Not all of us can even watch the television anymore. Some of us don’t know, and will never care about, what a television even is. I visit some of the less fortunate sometimes, when they let me. I saw Diane last week. She seems happy enough in the facilities animal ward. She always likes the carrots that they let me feed her.

Next week they I get to start potty training, which I’m a little thankful for. You’d have thought that three years of diaper changes would get you used them. Not for someone who is aware of a good 19 years of using a toilet.

They don’t tell us anything. We don’t ask either. Whatever happened that night isn’t meant for people to know about or understand.

I am thankful that the government found us before the media. I’m thankful that we live here now. I’m thankful that someday I might get to grow older and live a normal life again.[/i]

Wow….cool story!

That wasn’t bad, although I don’t know how she can remember if she’s become a baby (and the others’ minds seemed to go as well as their body).