Israel invades Gaza.

So, israel just invaded Gaza. The current death toll stands at about 500. Thoughts?

I never thought I’d take Hamas’ side on something, but practically all of Israel’s recent policies regarding Gaza have been insidious, this included.

Israel invades Gaza.

Yes, that’s true Winnie Cooper.

Israel invades Gaza.

I’m sorry but drawing up an equivalency between firing glorified bottle rockets at an occupying force and carpet bombing a civillian population during school hours is really goddamn stupid.

I’m usually on Israel’s side of things, but this shit is indefensible.

Israel invades Gaza.

The IDF has the tendency to go off the deep end sometimes, but in this case their actions were warranted. Israel has been the victim of repeated rocket attacks from Gaza, in violation of a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas. Furthermore, Israel had issued several evacuation warnings for the areas they’ve bombed, meaning the death toll would be down if Gazans weren’t being such stubborn asses. Also, Hamas has some nerve using human shields and concealing arms among civilians (both in violation of international law) then expressing outrage at civilian deaths.

Israel invades Gaza.

Nobody’s arguing that Hamas is generally pretty terrible; my point was that, in this specific instance, Israel has made a particularly bad decision. Installing a blockade that effectively starved the Gazan populace was also a pretty poor decision. While I’m sure we all agree that firing rockets over the border was a really dumb thing to do, it’s just plain dishonest to say that Israel is blameless in this particular kerfluffle.

Also, just as a side note, Israel was the first party to violate the ceasefire on November 4th.

Israel invades Gaza.

The ceasefire agreement began June 19th. There were numerous rocket attacks launched from Gaza (though none Hamas explicitly took credit for) between June 19th and Nov. 4.

Israel invades Gaza.

My thoughts?

Someone’s fucked. Dunno who, hope it’s not me, but someone is definitely fucked.

Israel invades Gaza.

we get a very biased anti israel reports over here, there has been alot of protest against israel and the news makes gaza out to be completely blamless so im not sure whats going on, personally i think israel should leave gaza but thats just me

Israel invades Gaza.

+1.

Israel invades Gaza.

My thoughts?

Israel haven’t behaved perfectly in the past (ie. have not stopped settling people at all) and the violence is disproportionate. However, what Hamas have been doing is just like baiting a bear; it’s not a surprise when the bear finally loses it and hits you much much harder. And you don’t really get pissy at the bear for it.

Israel invades Gaza.

I haven’t found anything in the news dating earlier than november 5th concerning Palestinian rocket attacks, but I’d wager that as a journalist you’d have more exposure to similar news items than I would. Can you link some of them? I’m not trying to be argumentative, I’m genuinely curious as to precisely when things happened.

In any case, my point still stands; the retaliation is completely disproportionate (the rocket attacks, have killed a grand total of four people, last I read. The statistics could have increased since then, but as long as they continue to use Qassam rockets sums aren’t likely to spike anytime soon).

Israel invades Gaza.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/25/africa/25mideast.php
http://en.rian.ru/world/20080624/111867958.html

There’s a longer list here, but a lot of the links are either dead or dubious:

Israel invades Gaza.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Israel invades Gaza.

Not a problem. I also agree that Israel’s response is not proportionate, but I believe a disproportionate response is required to serve as a deterrent. The only way a truce will work is if both parties expect it to be upheld and the only way Hamas will uphold a truce is if they see that the cost of launching rocket attacks is staggeringly high. I’m not entirely comfortable with Israel’s response from either an ethical standpoint or in anticipation of blowback, but I don’t see a clearly better alternative.

Israel invades Gaza.

Exactly.

And I also agree that it is the fallout from this that is the real worry.