Doorstep (Completed 9/12/11)

It’s been a long time since I posted anything, and truth be told it’s been a long time since I’ve even attempted to write anything. I hope that this story is at least somewhat interesting to others as it is to me. As always, any feedback or criticism is welcome, enjoy!

Knight

Doorstep
By: Dementia’s Knight

Chapter One: The Scene

We walked up to the front porch of the house where a patrol officer was standing waiting for us, I saw her partner inside with the owners of the house and gestured to Cavanaugh to go in and talk with them.

I smiled at the young patrol officer. “What’s the story?” I asked her.

“You gotta see it to believe it, sir.” She told me as she turned and gestured toward the front door of the house.

We walked up the small set of stairs together and stopped just before the front porch. Sitting on the porch was a wicker basket; it was about four and a half feet long and three feet wide. Inside the basket was young woman that despite her state of dress looked to be in her early to mid twenties. The young woman’s shoulder-length black hair was done up into two pigtails on either side of her head and held up with two pink satin ribbons. Her eyes were closed and her pale cheeks had two small circles of blush on them to give her the appearance of life and an added youthfulness. Her mouth was obscured by a pink pacifier that had a length of pink satin looped through the ring and secured behind her neck. She had a pink t-shirt on with white lace trimming the collar and sleeves below her exposed naval was what I had to guess, based on the circumstances, was a cloth diaper beneath a pair of translucent pink plastic panties. Her infantile outfit was made complete with the addition of soft pink booties adorning her feet.

“White female, approximately twenty years of age, no apparent sign of trauma.” The patrol officer explained.

“She was like this when you got here?” I asked the patrol officer.

“Yes sir, we had to step around the basket just to get into the house.” She explained. “The owner’s wife called the police.” she said gesturing into the house at the woman sitting on the couch talking to Cavanaugh and the patrol officer. “She said the doorbell rang around ten and she got up to answer it and found the girl. She thought it was a prank until she saw the note and checked the girl’s pulse.” She added.

I turned my attention from the girl in the basket. “What note?” I asked.

The young patrol officer held up an evidence bag with a small piece of paper in it and handed it to me. I took it and looked it over, “Please see to it that my baby finds her way home.” I read.

“No witnesses?” I asked as I handed the note back to her.

The patrol officer shook her head. “The house next door is vacant, and we were waiting for you two to arrive before we checked across the street.” She explained.

I nodded. “Good work Officer.” I told her before turning around to continue examining the body. The sweet smell of baby powder wafted up from the basket, I looked the girl over again and took mental notes of every aspect of the scene as well as anything out of place about the victim.

“You ever see anything like this, Davey?” Cavanaugh asked me as he walked out of the house.

I sighed as I knelt down, shaking my head in reply. The heat was unusually high for this time of night, it made everything feel close and oppressive. I removed my hat and wiped the sweat off my brow with my sleeve. “The homeowners have any information?” I asked.

Cavanaugh flipped through his notepad to try and find an answer to my question. “Probably not much more than you got from the patrol officer.” He started. “Doorbell rang and the wife answered, she called 911 when she realized the girl was dead, neither her or the husband saw or heard anything prior to the doorbell ringing.” He said.

I nodded and clicked my tongue thoughtfully. “This is gonna be one of those cases isn’t it?” I asked him as I stood back up and looked at my partner.

“You know I stopped betting a long time ago but I’d have to say the odds are definitely against us on this one.” Cavanaugh told me as he put his notepad in his back pocket and fished a smoke from behind his ear, lighting it as we walked to the car.

Driving back to the station I wrestled with the thoughts of the scene we’d just left. Cavanaugh and I had been called to countless crime scenes that would make any man with half a heart lose his lunch. This scene was different though, there wasn’t anything gruesome or grisly about it, it was just bizarre.

Mike Cavanaugh and I have been partners for twelve years now. Up till today I’d have said we’d seen just about everything this job could throw at us, but seeing that girl definitely through me for a loop. I sat at my desk and looked at the picture of my daughter and me at her high school graduation.

“You’re thinking about Carmen aren’t you?” Mike asked me.

I nodded and turned my attention to him. “You think we’ll hear from the coroner tonight?” I asked him.

Cavanaugh shook his head. “You go home and see your daughter, I’ll call you if I hear anything.” He said.

“Thanks Mikey, I’ll see you tomorrow.” I told him as I gathered up my hat and coat and headed out for the night.

When I got home I set my keys down on the table by the door and hung my hat and coat up in the closet. I went into my bedroom and un-holstered my gun and set it on my nightstand before I went back to Carmen’s bedroom. I knocked on the door and waited for her reply.

“Come in.” she called out.

I opened the door and smiled as I walked in. “Hi baby.” I said as I walked over to her bed where she was sitting, I kissed her on the top of her head and took a seat at the end of the bed. Carmen had her shoulder length brown hair tied back into a ponytail and was seated Indian style with a book on her lap.

“Hi daddy.” She said with a smile. “Rough night?” she asked.

I nodded. “My last case hit a little close to home.” I told her.

“A lot of girls look like me daddy,” She told me as she put a reassuring hand on my knee. “But they aren’t me.” She added.

I put my hand on hers. “I know sweetie, but that doesn’t make it any easier when I see it.” I explained.

“There’s a plate in the oven for you, you wanna to have some dinner and watch a movie with me?” she asked.

I smiled. “I’d love that.” I told her.

Carmen smiled and got up off the bed and left the room to get things ready for dinner. I sat on the bed for a moment and tried to clear the image of the girl on the doorstep out of my mind before I got off the bed and left the room to spend some quality time with my daughter.

To Be Continued…

Re: Doorstep (First chapter 8/8/10)

Dam interesting start!

Good to see you writing again. I can’t wait to see where this is heading.

WOW AMAZING! I want more :slight_smile:

I am glad to see you back online, thanks as always for sharing your work, and please keep up the fantastic work as always.

Re: Doorstep (Second chapter 8/9/10)

Here’s chapter two! I’ve got some good plans in place for this story. Word of warning, some course language in this chapter. Thanks for the comments so far, they are greatly appreciated! Hope you all continue to enjoy the story.

Knight

Chapter Two: The Missing Person’s Report

I enjoyed my dinner and time with Carmen, I always do, especially when a case gets to me. I sat with her on the couch and had her tell me how school was going. We sat and talked for a few hours before she turned in for the night so she could get up for class in the morning and I was left alone with my thoughts.

“What was the reason for dressing the girl up that way? Why would someone go through the trouble to leave her on a doorstep like an abandoned child?” I thought as I washed my plate and got ready for bed. I turned the scene over and over in my mind as I lay in bed, searching for any shred of evidence that might help make sense of the whole thing. By the time the sun started creeping through the corner of the window, I’d exhausted both myself and my mental search.

Mike called me around eleven in the morning and refused to explain why he was so eager to get me down to the station. I grumbled a reply and slapped my phone closed before staggering out of bed and into the master bathroom. My eyes are immediately drawn to the bathtub. My wife Madeline killed herself two years ago in that bathroom; she took a straight razor to her wrists in our claw foot tub. I came home from work that night expecting a fight about arriving home so late, or that I reeked of booze; those would have been welcomed alternatives to what was actually waiting for me.

You’d never have known the tub had initially been filled with water if you’d been there that night, you’d just assume it had been filled with blood. Maddy was long dead by the time I got to her. Part of me is thankful that she was already gone so I wouldn’t have the added burden of hateful last words weighing on me; another part of me hates that first part for thinking that way. Maddy hadn’t written a suicide note, if she had it would have probably told me to get my shit together so I didn’t find my daughter in a tub full of blood one day.

After that night I swore off booze and tried to get home at a reasonable hour so I could spend time with Carmen. She’d become my world after what happened with Maddy, and she knew it as well as I did. Part of it was that she was the spitting image of her mother. Sometimes it scared me how much she looked like Maddy.

When I finally got to the station Mikey was fired up to show me what he’d found. He tossed a file folder onto my desk as I filled up my coffee mug.

“What’s that?” I asked as I poured some sugar into the mug.

Mikey leaned back in his chair and smiled widely. “That, my friend, is the autopsy report for the girl on the doorstep. I was thinking of calling her “Baby Jane Doe”, how about that?” he asked.

I shook my head. “Won’t stick, we’ll have ID on her by dinner time.” I told him as I sat down at my desk and opened up the folder. I scanned the papers within looking for a cause of death to jump off the page at me, but nothing did. “No COD?” I asked.

Mikey shook his head. “Fuckin’ weird man, no sign whatsoever of what killed her.” He said. “I even called the coroner to verify. He told me that there were no needle marks, no sign of trauma, no water in the lungs, not even a goddamned bug bite.” He explained as he counted of the causes of death with his fingers. “We’re still at square one, Davey.” He added.

I sighed and took a sip of my coffee. “Then what are you so excited about?” I asked him.

“Look at the blood type.” He told me.

I scanned the first page in the file again. “AB-.” I read aloud. “And?” I asked

“And, the doc tells me that something like point five percent of the population of the United States has that blood type.” Mikey explained.

I nodded. “Narrows the search down a bit.” I said. “But that’s still gotta be a big list in a city this size.” I added.

Mikey smiled. “It would be if our girl wasn’t in the Missing Children’s database.” He said as he pulled out another piece of paper and slid it across the desk to me.

Now it was my turn to smile. “What happened to ‘We’re still at square one, Davey’?” I asked as I looked at the paper.

Mikey shrugged. “I like to mess with you a little.” He confessed.

I read the details on the paper. “Sierra Fontaine, missing since 1998. Last seen at Target with her parents.” I set the paper down. “'98? So she was seven when she went missing?” I asked.

Mike nodded. “So, I figure one of two things, either she escaped or was let go by the people that took her and didn’t know how to get back to her parents and then wound up having this done to her by someone else. Or, and this one is the fucked up one, whoever took her kept her alive and healthy for twelve years before they left her on that doorstep.” He said.

“Any way you slice it, this is a fucked up situation.” I told him. “So when do we go see the parents?” I asked.

“How fast can you drink that coffee?” Mike asked me with a smirk.

We pulled up to the Fontaine house forty five minutes later. The house was cute, something that most people envision when they dream of settling down after a long life of toil and sacrifice in some office building. The single story cottage style house was painted light blue and had a pale yellow trim. The picket fence out front of the house was well maintained and made the house seem more picturesque then it would have without it.

Mikey and I walked up the cobblestone path to the front door and looked around the yard for anyone that might be outside, seeing no one I knocked on the front storm door. It opened to reveal a woman in her early forties. Her blonde hair was tied back into a ponytail and she was dressed in a black tracksuit.

“Mrs. Fontaine?” I asked.

The woman nodded. “Yes, what can I do for you?”

Mikey and I pulled out our badges and held them up so she could see them through the door. “I’m Detective Russell and this is Detective Cavanaugh, we’d like to talk to you about your daughter.” I explained.

The color dropped from Mrs. Fontaine’s face as she nodded and unlocked and opened the storm door for us. She stammered a bit and muttered something that resembled “come in.” but I couldn’t be sure.

“Let me get my husband.” She said somberly before she hurriedly left the room.

I couldn’t imagine what the Fontaine’s must be going through. I was willing to bet that they’d accepted that their daughter had been killed years ago, but now with an actual body, and a much older one at that, I wasn’t really sure how they’d react.

Mr. and Mrs. Fontaine walked into the living room a short while later. Mr. Fontaine was much taller than his wife, his hair was nearly all gray and he had the face of a man many years older. Grief and worry will do that to you.

“Brenda tells me you have news about Sierra.” Mr. Fontaine said as he gestured for us to sit down.

“Yes sir.” I said as Mikey and I took a seat on the couch across from the loveseat the Fontaine’s were sharing.

“Gary.” Mr. Fontaine corrected.

“We found your daughter last night.” I started. “She was left on the porch of a house across town.” I added as I fished a photo of the girl’s face out of the file I was carrying and set it on the coffee table so they could see it.

Mrs. Fontaine began to sob and buried her face in her husband’s arm. Mr. Fontaine wiped away a few tears of his own and pushed forward, his voice shaky. “I don’t understand, our daughter went missing when she was seven, she couldn’t possibly be the girl in this picture.” He told us.

I nodded. “I’ll be honest, I’ve never seen a missing child turn up over a decade later, but we checked, and it definitely is your daughter.” I explained.

“We know this is difficult, but do you know of anyone that would have taken her and kept her alive and healthy for twelve years?” Mikey asked.

Gary and his wife both shook their heads. “There were no suspects when Sierra went missing, the trail went cold in the parking lot of the store and the search teams were never able to pick it up again.” Gary explained. “After a month the police called off the search. We stopped looking two years after that. We never expected to find her, we hoped we would, but it was just a dream. We had a funeral for her a few months later.” He said.

I gave a sympathetic look to the both of them and picked up the picture from the table. “We’re very sorry for your loss.” I told them as Mikey and I got up from the couch. “Hopefully this will at least bring you some closure.” I added.

The Fontaine’s thanked us and showed us out, and Mikey and I walked back to the car. We were silent the whole way back to the station. I think we were both thinking the same thing, but without words I just had to assume. I know that I was thinking about how badly I wanted to find the bastard responsible for taking little Sierra Fontaine and if that same person kept her alive and well for twelve years before killing her, then I wanted to get them in a windowless room for a little while and deliver my own brand of justice.

To Be Continued…

Re: Doorstep (Second Chapter 8/9/10)

I gotta admit the setting and the all around story is weird….But definitely a good beginning.

Re: Doorstep (Second Chapter 8/9/10)

A solid start, the storyline is pretty solid, and you seem to have a very detailed story which makes it very good to read.

Re: Doorstep (Third Chapter 8/12/10)

Hey everyone! Here’s more of the story for ya! I’m very pleased with how the story is progressing, both with what’s already been completed, and with what is yet to come. I appreciate all the comments so far and hope that you guys continue to enjoy the story. Thanks again!

Knight

Chapter Three: Cause of Death

After Mikey and I got back to the station we sat at our desks and tried to think outside the box a little to try and shed some light on what was fast becoming a cold case. We went through this process a lot with our cases, and it usually yielded results.

“So we know that Sierra was kidnapped in '98,” Mikey began. “But we don’t know if she was with that same person this whole time.” He finished.

I nodded. “Right. But if she wasn’t with that same person then where the hell has she been for twelve years?” I asked.

Mikey thought for a moment. “Alright, let me ask you this: did Carmen know her phone number or address when she was seven?” he asked.

I shook my head. “No, she didn’t pick that up fully till about nine.” I told him.

“So maybe she escaped from whoever took her, but had no idea how to get back to her parents.” He said. “Or maybe there is no connection between her kidnapping and her death.” He added.

I sat forward a bit in my chair and stared at him. “Then what about the note?” I asked. ‘Please see to it that my baby finds her way home.’ I read to him from the picture of the note I had on my desk. “Sounds like it was written by someone that cared for her, maybe like someone that had cared for her for twelve years?” I pointed out.

Mikey shook his head. “It doesn’t add up.” He said. “The note reads like it was from a loving family member and we’re looking for a sick fuck child kidnapper.” He said.

My phone started ringing as I opened my mouth to answer him. “Maybe he didn’t look at it as kidnapping; maybe he saw it as adopting her. Or maybe we are looking at a family member” I said before picking up my phone. “Detective Russell.” I greeted.

I hung up the phone after the person on the other end relayed their message. “That was the coroner; he thinks he knows what killed Sierra.” I told Mikey as I got up from my chair and put my hat on.

When we arrived at the coroner’s office we went back to meet with Dr. Hayes. Hayes was a mousy young woman that was damn good at her job for being young enough to be my daughter. If anyone could help us figure out what killed Sierra Fontaine, it was her.

“Hi guys, I’m glad you could get down here so fast.” She told us. “I was double checking one of the other doctor’s work on this case,” she started. “I do that sometimes when I don’t agree with the findings. I’m kind of a perfectionist.” She explained when she saw our blank expressions. “Anyway, I found something interesting.” She said.

Dr. Hayes led us to the exam table at the far end of the room, and pulled back the sheet to reveal Sierra’s body. The contrast between what she looked like now and what she looked like the night we found her was stark to say the least. The blush she had on her cheeks the night we found her was gone now and she had taken on a much paler shade. Seeing her in that basket swathed with soft pastels made her look like she was resting peacefully, much like the baby she was dressed as would have been, now though there was no mistaking that she was dead and gone.

“The original doctor on this case found no evidence of foul play, which may have been true, but I saw how this girl was dressed when she came in, and I don’t think someone that didn’t have a hand in her death would go through the trouble of prepping her that way.” Dr. Hayes explained. “Now it might be a long shot, but I think she was suffocated.”

“Wouldn’t there be signs of that?” Mikey asked.

Dr. Hayes smiled. “With forced suffocation yes, there would be petechial hemorrhaging in the eyes, if it was smothering we typically would find fibers in the nasal cavity, things like that. But, and this is where the long shot part comes in, what if it was a SIDS type death?” she asked.

“SIDS?” Mikey asked.

“Sudden infant death syndrome.” I explained. “It’s when a baby dies for no apparent reason usually when their sleeping.” I added.

“Alright, I learned something new, but that doesn’t change the fact that she’s not a baby.” Mikey said.

Dr. Hayes nodded. “True, and that’s why this is my long shot diagnoses. Typically in SIDS cases the cause of death is ruled as unexplained because there isn’t any glaring indication how the child died. What if whoever dressed her like a baby killed her like a baby?” she offered.

“So we either have no cause of death or adult SIDS?” Mikey asked. “Well that’s just fuckin’ beautiful.” He added, his tone clearly one of frustration.

I put a hand on his shoulder. “Go get some air buddy; I’ll be out in a minute.” I whispered to him. I watched him storm out of the room muttering angrily to himself and then turned back to Dr. Hayes. “How would someone go about setting up a SIDS type death on an adult?” I asked her.

“Well, I’m not really sure. I mean it is possible that the girl was sedated with some form of muscle relaxer and then laid face down on a pillow. As I said before, it’s a hell of a long shot, but it kinda makes sense given the other aspects of the case.” She said.

I thought for a moment. “If she was sedated with something wouldn’t it show up in her blood or something?” I asked.

Dr. Hayes shook her head. “If she was given an injection and the dose was high enough yes, but we would have found a needle mark somewhere. Her toxicology panel came back clean, so if she was given something it had to have been ingested and broken down within her system to be evacuated through her urine.” She explained. “And before you ask, no there was no urine in the diaper she was wearing that we could test, as well, her bladder was empty.” She added when she saw me preparing to speak.

I nodded. “Well thanks for being thorough Doc. call me if you get any other hunches.” I told her before flashing a polite smile and heading out of the room.

“Sure thing.” She said warmly. “Oh, Detective?” she said asking for my attention.

I turned to face her. “Yeah Doc.?” I asked her.

“Your victim was a virgin. Hopefully that’s at least somewhat good news.” She said.

I nodded. “Best news I’ve heard all day.” I told her. “You take care Doc.” I told her before heading out of the room.

“You believe that bitch?” Mikey said as I walked out of the building and past him as he smoked outside.

“What makes her a bitch? Was it the fact that she offered a somewhat plausible cause of death equal in weirdness to our crime scene?” I asked him.

Mikey flicked his cigarette away and sighed. “Look, the case is weird, I’ll give you that, but that doesn’t mean that we have to jump to crazy conclusions just because they’re weird too!” he shouted.

“I think that given the fact that we have almost fuck all to go on at this point with this case we should be a little more open minded.” I told him. “And furthermore, if you hadn’t stormed out like such an asshole you would have heard her explain her reasoning and maybe found that it’s not as farfetched as it sounds.” I added as I walked around to the driver side door of the car.

Mikey stewed for a moment before getting into the car. “I’m the asshole then?” he asked.

I sighed. “In this situation, yeah you kinda are.” I told him. “Did you know that Sierra was a virgin when she died?” I asked. “You would have if you’d stayed.” I told him.

“So she never had sex?” Mikey asked.

I shook my head. “She never had sex or was raped.” I explained. I added with the grim realization of how much worse things could have been.

Mikey smiled. “Well, let’s fuckin’ celebrate that bit of news.” He said with a smile. “Let’s get some dinner, my treat.” He added.

“That’s the partner I know and love.” I told him as I pulled away from the curb.

To Be Continued…

Re: Doorstep (Third Chapter 8/12/10)

Keep it up. Good job.

Re: Doorstep (Fourth & Fifth Chapters 8/15/10)

Two more chapters for you guys. I hope that you continue to enjoy the story!

Knight

Chapter Four: The Dead End in the Case

Cavanaugh and I had stopped for dinner at a burger place that we’d been going to for a few years now. We’d taken a seat at the booth by the big front window of the restaurant because it gave us a good view of the street in case we had to respond to any incidences and it allowed us a bit of privacy so we could discuss the case without disturbing other patrons.

“So, where do we go from here?” Mikey asked me while we waited for our food.

I thought for a moment before answering. I honestly didn’t know what to tell him. On the one hand, we’d already exhausted any information Sierra’s parents could give us, but at the same time we’d yet to pick up any new leads from the autopsy. “I don’t know.” I finally answered.

Mikey nodded. “Me neither. I was hoping maybe you had an idea.” He confessed.

Our food arrived and we dug in, so that we would have some excuse for not talking about our lack of leads. I picked at my fries a bit while eating my burger. I wasn’t really hungry but I knew that not eating all day would make me sick later. I looked up from my plate to see Mikey staring at the window, his well started burger in his hand dripping mustard into the waiting basket.

“Everything okay?” I asked him.

Mikey nodded. “I was thinking about the clothes she was wearing.” He said absently as he continued to stare out the window. “Those things weren’t exactly off the rack.” He added.

“True. We could see if there are any local shops that deal in adult sized baby clothes.” I told him. “Then again, they might have been ordered off the internet.” I added.

Mikey scoffed. “Lots of strange stuff on the internet.” He said.

“Tell me about it.” I said. “Seems like you can find just about anything on there.” I added.

Cavanaugh dropped the remains of his burger into the basket and proceeded to wipe his mouth and fingers off with his napkin before shoving the basket off to the end of the table. “I gotta tell you Davey, I have a bad feeling that we aren’t gonna solve this case.” He finally said after a long pause.

“Well if anyone can solve this, it’s us.” I told him. “I mean this isn’t the first time we’ve had our backs to the wall with nowhere to go, and we’ve come through those cases.” I added while cleaning my own hands with my napkin and pushing my own basket to the end of the table.

Mikey nodded. “I just worry that this girl is gonna get let down and we won’t find the guy that did this to her.” He said.

I grabbed the check and sat up to grab my wallet from my back pocket. I fished a twenty out and put my wallet away before gesturing to Mikey that we get going. We left the restaurant and got back into the car. “I think we do what we can, and after that we see where we stand.” I told him as we pulled away from the sidewalk and into traffic.

We ended up working Sierra’s case for six months. We checked out the clothes she was wearing and managed to rule out any local shops, after that the trail went cold. We went to the service that Sierra’s parents had to see if anyone stood out or seemed like they didn’t belong, and we left empty handed. At every turn during our investigation we were met with disappointment and adversity. Our investigation had reached a definite plateau, and it was rapidly nearing the point where we were going to have to call it unsolved and move on. We had decided to re-examine the case as a whole to see if anything jumped off the page for us.

“Alright, so we have no witnesses, no forensic evidence, and no way of finding anything related to those things at this point, so what do we do?” I asked Mikey.

Mikey shrugged. “I don’t think we have anything else we can do.” He said. “I think we need to accept the fact that we’ve done all we can.” He added.

“If we do that, I want to go talk to the parents again and let them know that we’re giving up on the case.” I told him.

Mikey sighed. “Why do you want to do that to them?” he asked. “Didn’t they suffer enough the first time the cops told them they were calling the case? Or what about when their daughter’s body was found after being missing for twelve years?” he asked.

“This isn’t negotiable Mikey.” I told him. “If you don’t wanna come that’s fine, but I’m going, it’s the right thing to do.” I added.

Another sigh came from Mikey as he sat back in his chair. “Fine, I’ll stay here and finish the paperwork on the case so we can move on.” He explained as he grabbed up the case folders and set to work on typing up the final bit of paperwork.

I gave a sigh of my own as I gathered up my hat and coat and left the office. I stewed over Mikey’s reaction to me wanting to go and deliver the news to the Fontaine’s the whole way over to the house. I knew he was stressed out because we’d been working hard on the case for six months and had now reached the point where the lack of evidence was forcing us to shut down the investigation but that didn’t give him cause to want to skirt doing the right thing.

As I turned onto the road to the Fontaine house my phone went off, I pulled it out of the clip on the holster I wore on my belt. “Detective Russell.” I answered.

“Davey, we got another body, same setup as the Fontaine girl. I’m headed out there now, meet me there.” Mikey explained frantically.

“Where’s the scene?” I asked as I pulled over the car so I could turn around if need be.

“Corner of Stevens and Winchester, look for the flashing blue and red lights.” He said before he hung up the phone.

I couldn’t help but smile as I replaced my phone in its holster and turned the car around to head to the new scene. “We might have a second chance at solving this thing.” I thought to myself as I pressed the gas pedal down a little harder to get to the scene as fast as possible.

To Be Continued…

Chapter Five: The Next Victim

I pulled up to the scene about a half hour later. I saw Mikey hard at work talking with the responding officer outside the house as I parked the car across the street and got out. I walked over to the house and made my way through the small crowd that had formed just outside the police tape. I flashed my badge to the young officer that was guarding the barricade and told him to start dispersing the crowd before I walked up to Mikey.

“Davey, this is definitely a sign that we aren’t done with this case.” Mikey told me as I approached him.

“Let’s hope we have better luck with this one.” I told him.

We walked up to the front porch and to the waiting basket, this time instead of a pretty young girl, the basket held a young man. The boy had short black hair that looked like it had been cut fairly recently, he was clean shaven with no piercings in his face. His eyes were closed and a light blue pacifier hung between his closed lips, a blue satin strap was fed through the ring of the pacifier and led under his neck where I knew it would be tied. His outfit was an exact match to Sierra’s except that everything was baby blue instead of pink. Mikey passed over the note that had been left with the body, and unsurprisingly it matched the one from the first scene word for word.

“The owners of the house came home from dinner with friends and found the basket on the porch. They said they left the house at about seven and got back around eight thirty.” Mikey explained. “Neighbors didn’t see or hear anything out of the ordinary until they heard the scream of the wife when she saw the body.” He added.

I breathed in deeply through my nose and exhaled sharply out my mouth. “So everything is pretty much the same as the first scene, so why are we optimistic about this being solvable?” I asked.

Mikey smiled. “Two reasons. One, we have the first case as a reference point, and two, we have a surveillance camera mounted on the chimney that faces the front yard and the street.” He explained. “So you gonna get on board with the optimism train?” he asked.

I nodded and started to smile. “I’m starting to feel like maybe I will.” I told him.

We had the owner of the house send a copy of the security footage to our video guy at the station to see if he could pick up a face or maybe a license plate number from the video and then we set to work on trying to get an ID on our new victim. We figured that the best bet was to treat this case like the last one and start with the missing children database so we told the forensics guy to start searching there once he had prints to work with. Mikey and I searched the scene for a bit before we decided to call it a night and wait for the results of our evidence to come back. I told him that I’d see him at work the next day and then headed home.

When I walked through the front door I heard various female giggles from Carmen’s room and remembered that she was having some girlfriends over for a study session. I decided not to intrude and took a spot on the couch to watch the sports highlights of the day. I was almost asleep where I was sitting when I heard someone walking into the room.

“Hi Mr. Russell.” A female voice greeted.

I craned my neck to see Carmen’s best friend Stacey walking toward the kitchen. She had her red hair tied back into a loose ponytail and a pen behind her ear just over the arm of her black framed glasses.

“Hi Stacey,” I replied. “How’s the studying going?” I asked.

Stacey stifled a chuckle. “You know us.” She answered.

I smiled. “So you’ve managed to rate all the boys at school by attractiveness?” I asked.

Again Stacey stifled a laugh as she got a few sodas from the fridge. “We’ve gotten a lot more than just that done Mr. Russell.” She said.

I turned to say something else to her when I noticed what she was wearing. Stacey had a pair of pink fleece footed pajamas on, they looked like something I’d bought for Carmen when she was just a toddler, but they were sized for an adult. “Do you mind if I ask where you got those pajamas Stacey?” I asked.

Stacey looked down at her outfit and smiled. “I found it at the thrift store downtown a few months ago.” She explained. “It’s cute isn’t it?” she asked.

I nodded. “It’s very cute.” I told her as I sized her up in my mind, figuring that she looked to be about Sierra’s size and build. “Where is that thrift shop?” I asked.

“Down on Claremont near the 24 Hour Fitness.” She explained.

I nodded. “Did they have anything else like that there?” I asked.

Stacey nodded. “Yeah, they had a few of these in different colors.” She explained. Stacey started giggling, “They had these weird onsie type things there too, like something a baby would wear to keep their diaper up, but adult sized. I told Carmen we should get it for her.” She told me with another giggle.

I feigned a laugh. “Thanks Stacey.” I told her.

“No problem Mr. Russell.” She said before she headed back to the bedroom. “Oh, and if you do go down there to get something like this for Carmen, don’t get that onsie thing, she didn’t think it was funny that I suggested it for her.” She added.

I waited till the bedroom door closed and then got my phone out of its holster and dialed Mikey’s number.

“Hello?” Mikey answered sleepily.

“Sorry to wake you partner, but I think I got a lead on where we can maybe get some information about the clothes Sierra was wearing.” I explained.

Mikey grumbled a response and promptly hung up the phone. I closed my phone and put it back in its holster before turning off the TV and heading to bed myself.

My sleep that night was fitful to say the least. The majority of my dreams were muddled at best, like trying to read a magazine while watching a foreign language film and expecting to know the plot. I remember seeing Carmen, but when she was a little girl, she had on the same pajamas Stacey had been wearing and was walking down a hallway, she went into a room at the end and I tried to follow her but the door disappeared. I woke up more tired than I had been the night before, and with this gnawing in the pit of my stomach that this case was going to derail the same way the previous one had.

By the time I reached the station Mikey was already at his desk with a half filled coffee cup sitting in front of him.

“Thanks for the wakeup call last night.” He said through a yawn.

I filled my own coffee cup and sat down. “I thought it was important.” I told him.

“You thought what was important?” he asked.

I sighed. “One of Carmen’s friends was over last night and she had on some footed pajamas, like the kind for little kids, but sized for an adult. She said she found it at this thrift store downtown a few months ago, and that they had other stuff like it.” I told with a satisfied smile.

Mikey took a drink of his coffee and nodded. “Alright, so maybe whoever was keeping the Fontaine girl sells the stuff after the deed is done.” He said.

“That’s what my thought was.” I said taking my own sip of coffee.

“Oh. Charles in the A/V lab wants to see us about the surveillance video we sent him.” Mikey explained. “I told him we’d head over as soon as we got some coffee in us.” He added.

“Did he say whether or not he was able to pull anything off of it?” I asked.

Mikey shook his head. “He just said he wanted us to come see him.” He replied.

Coffee finished, we headed over to the A/V lab and met with Charlie. If you’ve ever seen the Addams Family, you’d guess that Charlie was a stand in for Lurch. Tall and foreboding were definitely words that were used to describe Charlie.

“Thanks for coming fellas; I figured you’d want to see this.” Charlie said as we walked into the broom closet sized room.

Charlie slid his chair over to his desk and clicked away with his mouse for a few moments before the screen changed to an image of the front yard of the Clark residence, the site of the second body dump. Mikey and I leaned in to get a better view of the screen and Charlie hit play on the video.

“Now, I went through the video between the times you gave me and found absolutely no sign of anyone coming or going from the front of the house except for this.” Charlie explained as he hovered the mouse pointer over the bottom of the screen where at first nothing happened, but then a security light came on over the porch casting two shadows onto the lawn.

“That’s it!?” Mikey asked.

Charlie nodded. “No cars that stopped in front of the house had anyone get out of them, nor did any of those cars turn onto the street where they could have accessed the house from the side. Whoever dumped that body knew about the camera and came from the other direction.” He explained.

“At least now we know we’re looking for two suspects instead of just one.” I offered to Mikey. “That’s something.” I added.

Mikey grumbled something and we thanked Charlie and left. I convinced Mikey to come with me to check out the thrift shop Stacey had told me about while we waited for an ID to come back on our new victim. We pulled up outside the thrift shop a short while later and I went in alone while Mikey finished his cigarette. The girl at the counter greeted me as I walked in, triggering an electronic chime as I passed through the sensors. I walked over to the counter and greeted the girl back.

“I was wondering if you could help me.” I stated as I pulled out my badge and showed it to the girl behind the counter. “I’m looking for adult sized child or baby clothing.” I explained.

The girl nodded. “We only have a few things, but they’re over here.” She said as she walked out from behind the counter and led me to a small rack in the back. The rack had half a dozen or more adult sized children’s clothes on it including a purple version of the pajamas Stacey had been wearing.

“Any chance you have any records of the person that brought this stuff in?” I asked.

The girl nodded and grabbed one of the garments before leading me back to the counter. “We document all purchases we make from walk-ins, but the chances that the person is using a real name might be slim.” She explained as she scanned the barcode on the garment’s tag and tapped a few keys on the keyboard before sighing. “Well, if you can find Mrs. Betty Boop then you’ll have your suspect.” She said.

“A woman brought this stuff in?” I asked.

The girl nodded. “About five months ago, she had a big bag of stuff like that.” She told me.

My heart started to race. “Do you have the surveillance tape from that day?” I asked.

The girl shook her head. “We only keep the tapes for a month before we record over them.” She explained. “But she’s been in here before, I could call you if she comes back in.” she offered.

“That would be fantastic!” I said excitedly as I fished a business card from my wallet and handed it to her. “Thank you very much, Natalie.” I said after reading the girl’s nametag.

I hurriedly walked out of the store to tell Mikey the good news leaving Natalie, unbeknownst to me, to make a very important phone call to one of the people I desperately wanted to find.

To Be Continued…

Please continue this is a great story so far and i am eagerly awaiting to find out what happens next! :smiley:

This is really good! Plain and simple.

Re: Doorstep (Sixth Chapter 9/23/10)

Hi all! I apologize for the delay, unfortunately it couldn’t be helped. I am glad to see that there is still interest in this yarn of mine, hopefully that will continue. :slight_smile: Here’s chapter six. I should have chapter seven up sometime tonight, or tomorrow morning at the latest. Enjoy, and thank you for the comments!

Knight

Chapter Six: The Farmhouse

Natalie drummed her fingers on the counter as she watched Detective Russell leave the shop. Waiting until she saw his car pull away from the curb through the window she flew to the front door of the shop and flipped the “Open” sign around and locked the door before she made her way to the phone in the back office. Her fingers hurriedly danced over the desired numbers and opened a connection to the preferred contact.

“Hello.” A woman’s voice finally stated after a painfully long series of rings.

Natalie took a deep breath before she relayed the information she had, partly to calm herself, and also to put off delivery of less than desirable news. “Mama, a detective was just here. He was looking for the stuff you brought in a while back.” She explained hurriedly.

The woman on the other end of the phone was silent for a moment. “Well, we’ll just have to be more careful is all.” She said. “Why don’t you close up the store early and come home angel. Mama will make you a nice lunch.” She added.

Natalie smiled; glad that the situation didn’t seem as bad as she’d thought it was. “Okay Mama, I’ll be home in a little bit.” She explained before hanging up the phone and exhaling sharply. She stood up and fished her purse from the bottom drawer of the desk. Looking around for a moment Natalie ticked off items on her mental list of things she needed to do to close the store, satisfied that she had taken care of everything she turned off the lights and hurriedly made her way to the front door.

Careful not to act too conspicuous Natalie locked the front door of the shop and strolled around to the side of the building where she’d parked her car. She pressed the button to unlock her doors on the small device attached to her keys and got into the car, after taking one final glance around to make sure she hadn’t aroused suspicion. Pulling into traffic, Natalie began her commute home.

Home was almost an hour’s drive from the city, a lovely old farm house in the country. Natalie exited the freeway and made a right turn at the light. She drove past all the last vestiges of civilization, a strip mall and a gas station before she took the turn that lead her out to the countryside, to home.

The garage door opened a short while later. Mama finished setting the table for lunch as she heard Natalie’s car door close. Taking position at the front door, she waited for her daughter to enter with outstretched arms ready to hug the girl as soon as she entered.

“Hi Mama!” Natalie exclaimed happily as she entered the house and quickly set her purse down on the nearby table before embracing her mother.

Mama wrapped her arms around Natalie and gave her a series of gently pats on the back. “Hello my angel.” She said softly. “Mama is almost done with lunch, why don’t you go wash up.” She said.

Natalie broke the loving embrace and nodded. “Yes Mama.” She said obediently as she began heading to the bathroom. Turning on the light in the bathroom Natalie set to washing her hands in the sink, she made sure to use the small pink bear-shaped nail brush to get under her fingernails and then gave a final rinse before she dried her hands off and went back to the kitchen.

“Have a seat dear.” Mama commanded without looking up from her work plating the food.

Natalie took her seat at the table and smiled, glad to be home. “Is Papa gonna eat with us?” she asked.

“I’m afraid not dear.” Mama said. “Papa had to run an errand for Mama.” She explained.

Natalie nodded. “Is he gonna bring a new brother or sister?” she asked.

Mama set a plate and a sippy cup of juice down in front of Natalie and kissed the top of the girl’s head. “It’s possible sweetheart.” She said with a smile. Mama reached behind her daughter and lifted her auburn hair and secured the bib in her hands around the girl’s neck. “Mama needs to go take care of something, can you be a good girl and feed yourself till she gets back?” she asked.

Natalie nodded and picked up one of her chicken fingers with her hand and began dipping it in the small mound of ketchup on her plate.

Mama smiled at her little girl and left the room. The middle aged woman made her way back to the study in the back of the house and closed the door behind her. She fished the home’s cordless phone from her apron pocket and dialed her husband’s cell phone number.

“Yes dear?” Papa answered.

“I think I’d like another little girl, perhaps similar looking to Natalie.” She said. “I think maybe a little sister will make her feel better about what happened today.” She added.

The man said nothing for a moment. “Yes dear, I’ll be home later with a new bundle of joy.” He said finally, the sound of a smile in his voice.

“Thank you Papa.” Mama said before hanging up the phone and making her way back to the kitchen to check on her current daughter.

Natalie sat in her chair, her cheeks and mouth smattered with ketchup and remnants of chicken finger breading. She was in the process of finishing the last bit of juice in her sippy cup, her head tilted as far back as she could get it, the handles of the cup gripped in her hands as she sucked greedily for any remaining moisture.

“Goodness.” Mama said. “I guess my little one was hungry.” She said playfully as she looked adoringly at her daughter.

Natalie nodded and stifled a satisfied belch. “'Scuse me.” She said with a giggle.

Mama smiled and went to the sink to wet a towel and then set to cleaning Natalie’s face and hands. Once the girl was deemed clean Mama removed the bib from around Natalie’s neck and offered her hand to the girl. “Mama wants you to have a nice nap before Papa gets home.” She explained.

Natalie took Mama’s hand and obediently followed her to her bedroom. Mama shut the door behind them and motioned for Natalie to lift up her arms. Arms raised, Natalie allowed Mama to pull her dress up and off. Mama smiled at her little girl and reached down to give a gentle squeeze to the crotch of Natalie’s training panties.

“Good girl.” Mama cooed. “I’m so proud of my little girl keeping her training panties dry all day.” She said.

Natalie beamed with pride and smiled widely at Mama.

“Now I know that normally Mama sits you on the potty before naptime and bedtime, but Mama thinks that maybe you should go back to diapers for a bit so that you can show the new baby girl that it’s ok to wear them.” Mama explained.

Natalie felt a pang of disappointment, she had worked so hard to stay dry for Mama all day and now she was going to have to go back to diapers again anyway. “Yes Mama.” She said sullenly, her bottom lip sticking out a bit as she pouted.

“Honey, it’s just until the new baby gets used to her role. You know that’s how it works.” Mama explained. “If you do what Mama asks you can help the new baby get settled.” She offered.

Natalie was instantly back to happy again. “You really mean it Mama?” she asked excitedly.

Mama nodded. “But you can’t do anything until we get you in a diaper and down for your nap.” She explained.

Natalie nodded and raced to the changing table on the wall by the door. With lightning quickness she hoisted herself onto it and positioned herself on her back.

Mama stifled a chuckle at her little girl’s eagerness and made her way to the changing table. She removed Natalie’s training panties and set them aside and then pulled out a disposable diaper from the shelf under the top of the table. With actions perfected through thousands of attempts she wiped and powdered her daughter’s diaper area and folded the garment up and taped into place around Natalie’s waist.

Natalie hopped off the table at her mother’s gesture and waited for her pajamas. The red fleece pajamas were pulled on and zipped up a short moment later and the now thoroughly relaxed girl was ready to lay down.

Mama led her daughter to the larger than normal toddler bed and pulled back the covers to let the sleepy girl in. Before she kissed the droopy eyed girl on the forehead, Mama placed a pacifier between Natalie’s lips and nestled the girl’s stuffed octopus in her waiting arms.

“Good night my darling little girl.” Mama whispered.

Natalie rolled over, the crinkle of her diaper and the plastic sheet on the bed almost deafening in the quiet of the room. “Ni ni Mama.” She muttered sleepily.

Mama smiled and crept out of the room as quietly as she could. As soon as she closed the door she sighed. “Now to get things ready for our new arrival.” She thought to herself with a satisfied smile.

To Be Continued…

Re: Doorstep (Sixth Chapter 9/23/10)

So… I would be really happy if you posted the next chapter. :slight_smile:

Good job so far.

Re: Doorstep (Sixth and Seventh Chapters 9/23/10)

Chapter Seven: The New Arrival Process

Mama took a seat at the table in the kitchen and pulled the cordless phone from her apron pocket. Dialing from memory she waited for the person she was calling to answer.

“Hello?” came a male voice on the other end of the phone.

Mama cleared her throat before speaking. “Hello, this is Genevieve Whitman, Natalie’s mother.” She started.

“Yes, hello Mrs. Whitman, what can I do for you?” the man asked.

“I just wanted to let you know that Natalie is very ill and had to close the shop early today. I was wondering if you could possibly cover for her for the next few days. I just don’t think she’ll be well enough to be there.” Mama explained.

There was a pause for a moment on the other end of the phone. “Gee Mrs. Whitman, I’d love to cover for Nat, but I’m afraid I’m going out of town for the weekend.” The man explained.

Mama took a deep breath and exhaled sharply. “Well, I hope that whatever you’re doing this weekend is worth losing your job over, Tyler.” She threatened.

Tyler stammered. “Mrs. Whitman, I cleared this trip with you weeks ago!” he pleaded.

“I’m well aware of that Tyler, and I am sorry that I have to put a damper on your plans, but the simple fact of it is that it’s my shop and I need someone to run it while my only child is sick. Now, will you hold down the fort until Natalie is well again, or should I start looking for someone who will?” she asked.

Tyler sighed. “You know what? Go fuck yourself Mrs. Whitman.” He said before hanging up the phone.

Mama ended the call on her phone and then sat for a moment shaking her head. “Such a naughty boy.” She muttered to herself. Replacing the phone into her apron pocket, Mama set to work preparing things for the new little girl that she was expecting Papa to bring home with him. The room adjacent to the kitchen was the starting point for all of the “bundles of joy” as she referred to them.

A single chair sat in the center of the room. The windows were blacked out and covered with thick curtains so the new child would have no concept of time within the room. On one wall was a cabinet filled with assorted cloth diapers and clothing of various sizes and gender appropriateness. On the other wall was a very clinical looking changing table. Near the door was a metal table on casters so it could be wheeled around, atop the small table were various syringes and bottles of assorted drugs.

Mama preferred not to use the drugs unless the child became unruly, which tended to happen once they were past a certain age. She made sure everything was put together in an orderly and organized fashion so nothing was further than arms reach or so when it was needed before she crossed the hall to the guest bathroom.

Everything in the bathroom was white, floor to ceiling pristine white. The bathroom would be the second stop on the journey, providing of course that all had gone to plan in the first room. Mama carefully laid out travel size containers of baby shampoo, and bubble bath, a washcloth, and several large fluffy towels as an afterthought she placed a comb atop the towels so she could brush the new girl’s hair.

The final stop would be one of the nurseries. Mama loved the nurseries, even more than she loved the toddler rooms, one of which Natalie currently occupied. There was nothing in the nurseries that she didn’t love. Everything evoked a feeling of maternal love so strong that she sometimes hated leaving. In total the house had two nurseries and two toddler rooms, one for each gender. As a rule, the house never had more than one child per room, a rule that Mama enforced strictly.

Mama opened the door to the girl’s nursery and breathed deeply the perfume scent of baby powder. She walked to the large wooden crib that Papa had built himself and checked that the bed was made. The truth of the matter was that the room had gone unused since little Sierra had left them six months ago, Mama regretted having to be so firm with her babies, but once they reached a certain age the choice had to be made whether they would “grow up” like Natalie, or make the final journey to a new home. To date, Natalie was the only one of their “babies” to make it to toddlerhood, but Natalie was their first so they were much more lenient with her when it came to “growing up”. Mama sighed as she thought of how proud she was of Natalie; she knew that one day, after her and Papa were dead and buried, Natalie would make herself a new family within the house and keep it humming with love and togetherness as they did.

Her preparations finished, Mama took a seat on the couch with a book and listened to Natalie’s quiet snores on the baby monitor. A few hours went by before she heard Papa’s truck pull up outside the house. The vehicles brakes screeched loudly as he stopped and got out of the truck. Mama set her book down and went to the front door, she opened it and smiled as she watched Papa walk around to the passenger side, open the door and pull a sleeping girl of about ten or twelve out.

“She’s beautiful.” Mama said as she watched Papa kick the truck door shut and make his way to the house.

Papa nodded. “I knew she was the one right when I saw her.” He said with a smile as he entered the house and made his way to the room with the chair.

“Did she give you any trouble?” Mama asked as she followed behind her husband and watched him set the girl in the chair.

Papa shook his head. “She’ll be awful sore when she finds out I lied about trying to find my dog.” He said with a chuckle. “But, I suppose getting over that will be the easiest thing given what lies ahead.” He added.

“What’d you use on her?” Mama asked as she marveled at how angelic the girl looked while she slept in the chair.

“Tiny bit of Chloroform, just enough to put her out for the drive. She’ll be awake within the hour.” He explained. “Natalie napping?” he asked.

Mama nodded. “I should go wake her though, I promised I’d let her help with this one.” She said.

“You think she’s ready for that kind of responsibility?” he asked.

Mama smiled. “I think so. She has to learn sometime, right?” she asked.

Papa nodded and kissed his wife on the cheek. “Go get her then, I’ll see if I can’t wake this little angel here.” He said gesturing to the sleeping girl.

Mama left the room, closing the door behind her, and crossed the hall to Natalie’s room. She crept quietly to the bed and reached down brush the hair out of the sleeping girl’s face. “Wake up angel, the new baby is here.” She said sweetly.

Natalie stirred a bit and groaned a sleepy protest before the words she’d heard sunk into her sleep fogged mind and she was instantly wide awake. “Really?!” she asked, her eyes wide with delight.

Mama nodded and smiled. “Papa is waking her up right now.” She explained.

Natalie shot over the low railing of the toddler bed and raced over to the changing table where she waited for Mama to come and get her out of her pajamas and change her diaper as she did every morning.

Mama smiled and made her way to Natalie. “Mama will change you later honey, you need to stay just how you are until we’ve settled things with the new baby. Understand?” she asked.

Natalie nodded. “You gotta show her that it’s okay for a big girl to be a baby too, right?” she asked.

Mama leaned in and kissed Natalie on the forehead. “That’s absolutely right baby. You’re such a smart girl.” She praised. “Now when we get to the room I need you to stand in the back as quiet as you can until Mama or Papa tells you to come over, can you do that?” she asked.

Natalie nodded and pressed her lips together before making a locking motion on them with an invisible key.

“Good girl.” Mama said as she took Natalie by the hand and led her to the other room.

The girl was still asleep when they arrived. Mama scooted Natalie to the back of the room after Papa greeted her with a hug and kiss. Natalie stared at the girl in the chair as she walked past and had to bite her bottom lip to keep from squealing with glee that she had a new little sister, and that for the first time she would be instrumental in helping acclimate the new baby with the idea of being a baby again.

Everyone watched intently as the girl stirred and moaned softly as she woke up. Her eyes opened slowly as the drugged sleep faded away. She could see two people in front of her as she rubbed her eyes with her hands to aid the waking up process. The man she recognized as the driver of the truck she’d gotten into. The woman she didn’t recognize, but felt at ease by the sight of her, much like someone does when they see a friendly old lady.

“What happened?” the girl asked.

Papa smiled at the girl. “You fell asleep while we were driving. I didn’t know where you lived, so I brought you home with me.” He lied.

The girl thought. She couldn’t remember much of anything after getting into the truck. “Well, I’m awake now, can you take me home?” she asked.

“I’m afraid I can’t do that tonight little lady, my eyes aren’t up to the task of driving at night anymore. But if you give me your phone number I can call your parents and see if they can come and get you.” Papa explained.

The girl nodded. “Its 555-713-2987.” She told him. “My mom’s name is Debby, and my dad’s name is Bill.” She added.

Papa wrote the information down on a slip of paper he had in his shirt pocket. “And your name?” he asked.

“Tamara Leonard.” The girl answered.

Papa nodded and wrote the information down. “Alright Tamara, you sit tight with my wife here, and I’ll give your folks a call.” He explained with a smile before leaving the room.

Mama brushed the young girl’s hair from her face gently and smiled. “You’re a very pretty girl Tamara. How old are you?” she asked.

“Eleven ma’am. I’ll be twelve in three weeks though.” She added with a sense of pride.

Mama just smiled at the girl and listened for Papa’s theatrics.

In the kitchen Papa pretended to call Tamara’s parents. “Hello, this is Earl Whitman calling. Is this Bill Leonard?” he asked. Pausing as if listening to a response he continued. “It’s about his daughter Tamara. Uh huh. Oh my goodness, that’s terrible. Both of them? How awful. Well thank you officer, I’ll bring the girl by the station in the morning. What’s that? I’ll ask her if she wants to, but if not I’ll bring her down there. Thank you again officer.” Papa said, concluding his fake phone call and returning to the room.

“What happened Earl?” Mama asked.

Papa sighed heavily and knelt down in front of Tamara. “I’m so sorry honey, both your parents are gone.” He said.

“Gone?” Tamara asked.

Papa nodded. “It seems a man broke into the house and tried to rob it, but your daddy scared him and he shot him. Then he went and did the same to your mommy, the police caught him, but they couldn’t help your parents.” He explained.

Tamara sat in shock. “Dead? But, they can’t be dead.” She said, tears welling up in her eyes and spilling down her cheeks. “Where will I go?” she asked.

Papa pulled the girl in for a hug. “You can stay here with us if you like, honey.” He offered.

Tamara sniffled into Papa’s chest and began sobbing in earnest. She tried to say something, but it got garbled by her crying and just came out a sputtering mess.

Mama guided Papa back and embraced Tamara herself. “We can take care of you dear.” She said reassuringly.

After a solid half hour of crying Tamara was finally able to formulate coherent sentences, albeit between sniffles and stifled sobs. “You’ll take care of me?” she asked finally.

Mama nodded. “As if you were our own flesh and blood.” She said.

Tamara felt comforted by Mama’s smile and was able to force a small smile of her own. “Thank you.” She said quietly as more tears began to freely fall.

Mama leaned in. “You know what always makes me feel better when I’m sad?” she asked.

Tamara shook her head. “What?” she asked.

“A nice warm bath and a glass of warm milk before bed.” Mama replied. “Does that sound good to you?” she asked.

Tamara nodded and took Mama’s hand when it was offered and followed the kind lady out of the room to the bathroom across the hall.

Papa watched them leave with a smile on his face before turning back to Natalie. “Sorry we couldn’t use you this time Pumpkin, but you’ll still get to help with what comes later.” He told her.

Natalie feigned a smile and nodded. “Yes Papa.” She said quietly.

Papa left the room to go get some dinner and left Natalie alone with her thoughts.

“I can’t believe I didn’t get to help.” She thought, her bottom lip jutting out ever so slightly. “What am I supposed to do now? Just stand here?” she asked herself. “No, Mama said I could help, I wanna help.” She said. Mind made up, Natalie crossed the room and the hall and entered the bathroom.

The door swinging open startled Tamara and Mama equally as they were in the process of getting Tamara undressed so she could get into the filling tub.

“Natalie! What are you doing?!” Mama shouted angrily.

Natalie went to Tamara and grabbed the girl, hugging her tightly. “I’m Natalie, I’m gonna be your big sister!” she exclaimed. “I’m sorry your parents are dead.” She said sadly. “But you’ll be better once Mama gets a nice soft diaper on you.” She explained happily.

Mama fumed and grabbed Natalie by the top of the ear, twisting forcefully. “Papa! Come get Natalie!” she bellowed, something which Mama never did.

Papa dashed from the kitchen to the bathroom and grabbed Natalie by the hand, yanking her out of the room and causing her to lose her footing and fall face first in the hallway. Not wasting a second, Papa hoisted the girl up from the floor by the back of her pajamas and dragged her down the hall to her room.

Mama slammed the bathroom door when she was satisfied everything outside was under control. “I’m so sorry about that dear. I’m afraid Natalie isn’t quite right in the head.” She explained.

“What’d she mean you were gonna put a diaper on me? And why was she dressed like that?” Tamara asked, backing away from Mama slowly.

Mama smiled. “As I said dear, she’s crazy. She thinks it’s normal for an adult to be a baby, we let her do it because she’s our daughter and we love her.” She explained. “Now, let’s get you into the tub.” Mama said as she reached past Tamara and turned off the faucet in the tub.

Tamara shook her head. “I wanna go.” She said.

Mama sighed. “I’m sorry dear, but you’re not going anywhere.” She said ominously as she approached the girl.

Tamara panicked tried to run into Mama to knock her down, she found that her tiny frame lacked the weight to overpower the grown woman and almost bounced off of her, hitting the back of her head on the lip of the tub and blacking out.

To Be Continued…

keep this story coming i can not wait for more.

Nice to see this continuing. Great work. Very interesting!

Great stuff here, I’m on the edge of my seat every chapter!

I wonder what Tyler would have said if Mr Russel had run into him down at the shop instead of Natalie?

Re: Doorstep (Eighth and Ninth Chapters 9/25/10)

Hey everyone, here’s two more chapters for ya! I’m glad to see that everyone seems to still be enjoying this. I must say that the further this story goes down the rabbit hole the more I am both creeped out by it and amazed at how much I enjoy it. Hopefully you all do to. Thanks for all the comments, keep 'em coming, and enjoy!

Knight

Chapter Eight: The Backup Plan

“What were you thinking?!” Mama screamed.

Natalie stammered she knew that she had disobeyed Mama, but she didn’t think she’d be this mad. Between sobs she managed to choke out an apology. “I’m sorry Mama.” She said.

“Sorry. You’re sorry?” Mama started. “Do you realize that because of what you did Tamara is now unconscious?” she asked.

Natalie shook her head and wiped the tears from her eyes. “I just wanted to meet her.” She confessed.

Mama started to say something but stopped. The anger left her face and she took on a look of pity. Calmly, Mama took a seat on Natalie’s bed and pulled the girl close to her. “Honey, I know you were excited to meet her, but Mama told you what you needed to do for a reason. We can’t rush the new babies into their role, otherwise they get scared and try to escape or hurt themselves.” She explained. “Remember what happened with Gabriel?” she asked.

Natalie did remember the boy Gabriel. He had been brought to the house a few years ago, and was now buried in the backyard after he’d found a way to slit his wrists with a piece of broken plastic from a toy he’d smashed while in his crib for the night. “I remember.” She said solemnly, her sobs ebbing.

“So you understand now why what you did was wrong?” Mama asked.

Natalie nodded. “Yes Mama, I’m sorry.” She said.

Mama kissed Natalie on the forehead gently. “Good.” She said as she got up from the bed. “Papa will be in shortly to administer your spankings, and then you will be demoted to baby and placed in the boy nursery for two weeks.” She added before heading to the door.

Natalie resumed her crying. “Are you gonna send me away?” she asked.

“Not if you can prove to Mama and Papa you can be a good girl from now on.” Mama said coldly as she walked through the door. “She’s ready when you are.” She told Papa as she closed the door behind her.

“How many?” Papa asked as he got up from the kitchen table and went to meet his wife.

Mama thought for a moment. “A hundred on each cheek, and then leave her on the bed for me.” She answered.

Papa nodded and reached for the door handle. “Am I gonna need to make another basket?” he asked.

Mama shook her head. “Not yet. If she gets out of line again though.” She said, trailing off before finishing her sentence, the look on her face letting her husband know exactly what she was thinking.

Tamara had been moved to the master bedroom after the incident in the bathroom. Mama had made sure to lock the door to prevent her escape, but she was still eager to get back to the girl to make sure she would be alright. Mama unlocked the door and entered the room slowly, she saw Tamara still on the bed where she’d left her and quickly closed the door and knelt beside the girl on the bed. She checked her pulse and smiled when she picked up a strong one.

Tamara groaned and opened her eyes, her head throbbing. “What happened?” she asked. A look of fear came over her face when she saw Mama on the bed next to her. “Get away from me!” she screamed as she pulled away from the woman and scrambled off the bed.

“Tamara, honey, you need to calm down.” Mama said calmly. “You don’t want to get hurt again.”

Tamara ran to the door but was intercepted by Mama. The woman scooped her up and dumped her back onto the bed. “Why are you doing this to me?” Tamara asked, her voice shaking with fear.

Mama smiled. “Not to you dear, for you.” She clarified. “We’re giving you a chance to have a new home, one that’s filled with love and care.” She explained.

“I have a home!” Tamara yelled.

“Yes dear, this one. You’ll stay here with us and we’ll raise you as our own little girl.” Mama told her.

“You’re gonna make me wear diapers and be a baby, like that other girl, aren’t you?” Tamara asked.

Mama shook her head. “I won’t make you do anything dear. I will however urge you to think about how much love and attention babies get. Would you like attention like that?” she asked.

“No! I want the love and attention a girl my age gets!” Tamara shouted.

“And what kind of attention is that, huh?” Mama asked. “The kind of attention you get from the boys when they start to notice you’re budding breasts? The kind of attention that you get from giving handjobs behind the gymnasium between classes so that the boys will like you more?” Mama asked, her tone rising after each question. “You want the kind of attention a whore gets? You wanna be a little whore Tamara?!” she asked before slapping Tamara across the face.

Tamara sat in shock. “What are handjobs and whores?” she asked after a long silence.

Mama froze, she hadn’t even realized she had just hit this little girl, let alone what she had been saying to her. She started to say something, but instead turned and left the room, locking the door once again behind her. She took a deep breath and went back to Natalie’s room.

Papa had Natalie over his knees as he sat on the bed. The nineteen year old was completely naked and crying through the pacifier she was biting down on to try and get through the pain of the spanking she was receiving. Natalie’s butt cheeks were bright red from the several dozen smacks she’d already gotten.

“That’s enough Papa.” Mama said as she entered the room.

Papa stopped the spankings and helped Natalie to her feet. “You need any help?” he asked.

Mama shook her head. “Keep an ear out for Tamara trying to break down our bedroom door.” She said.

Papa nodded and left the room, leaving the two women to handle their business.

Mama went to Natalie and hugged the still crying girl. “Shush baby, Mama’s here now.” She whispered as she rubbed Natalie’s back gently.

Natalie began to calm down almost immediately, and hugged her mother tightly. “I’m sorry Mama.” She said through her pacifier.

“It’s alright baby, Mama isn’t mad at you anymore.” Mama told her. “In fact, I came in here to see if you still wanted to help with Tamara.” She said.

Natalie nodded. “Yes Mama, I really, really do!” she said eagerly.

“Good, then let’s get some cream on that sore little bottom and get you ready for a proper introduction.” Mama told her with a warm smile.

The master bedroom door unlocked a short time later and Tamara watched as Mama and Natalie entered the room. Her eyes were like saucers when she got a good look at Natalie. The pretty brunette, that was obviously much older than her, was wearing a pink belly shirt and a thick disposable diaper. Tamara’s mouth dropped open as she watched Natalie walk into the room and sit Indian style next to her on the bed.

“Tamara, I’m sorry if I scared you earlier.” Natalie said. “I was just super duper excited to meet you, and I got carried away.” She explained.

Tamara listened intently to the girl trying to figure out whether she was being sincere or not. She looked her up and down, amazed by what she was wearing. “Who are you?” she finally asked.

Natalie giggled. “See, I got so super duper excited again that I forgot to introduce myself.” She said. “My name is Natalie. I was hoping I could be your big sister. If you stay with us that is.” She explained with a tiny pout at the mention of Tamara’s possible departure.

“Why are you dressed like a baby?” Tamara asked.

Natalie smiled. “Because that’s what I am.” She answered.

Tamara shook her head. “No, you’re an adult. You’re older than me.” She pointed out.

Natalie gently placed her hand on Tamara’s knee. “Sometimes adults can be babies too.” She explained. “If they want to of course.” She added.

Tamara looked confused. “Why would an adult want to be a baby?” she asked. “I thought it was fun being grown up.” She added.

“It is!” Natalie said. “But sometimes it can be fun to be little again too. Haven’t you ever missed being cuddled by your mommy or daddy?” she asked.

Tamara nodded.

“See, that’s something that a baby likes too. There isn’t anything wrong with wearing diapers or being cared for like a baby, it’s just another way to feel loved and cared for.” Natalie explained.

Tamara was starting to tear up from thoughts of her parents. “My mommy and daddy are dead.” She said quietly, her head down to hide the onset of crying.

Natalie leaned in and hugged Tamara. “My mommy and daddy abandoned me when I was little. Mama and Papa found me and took me in, they loved me just like I was their own daughter, just like they will with you.” She told the now crying girl.

Tamara broke from the hug and wiped away her tears. “But what if I don’t wanna be a baby again?” she asked.

“Why don’t you wanna be a baby again?” Natalie asked.

Tamara shrugged. “It’s silly, I guess.” She said.

“Do you think I’m silly?” Natalie asked.

Tamara shook her head. “I think you’re nice.” She said after a moment of thought.

Natalie smiled. “Thank you. I think you’re nice too, that’s why I want you to be my sister.” She said with a giggle.

The little girl sat silent for a long while, and Mama finally broke the silence by approaching the bed. “If I let Natalie share a room with you will you agree to be her baby sister?” she asked.

Tamara looked up at Mama, and then to Natalie. Both of them had sweet, hopeful smiles on their faces as they waited for her reply. “Do I have to use the diapers?” she asked.

“It would be a waste of a good diaper if you didn’t.” Mama said.

Tamara wrinkled her nose at the thought of doing her business in a diaper. “I wanna be your sister Natalie.” She said. “And I wanna be loved and cared for.” She added as she turned to Mama. “But I don’t wanna wear diapers and be a baby.” She finally said.

Mama’s smile faded. “I’m sorry to hear that Tamara. I had hoped you would be a nice addition to our family.” She said. “I guess I’ll have Papa take you to the orphanage tomorrow, though I’m sure no other families will want an ungrateful little brat like you.” She sneered.

Tamara looked bewildered at Mama’s words, and began to cry anew.

“For such a big grown up girl you sure do cry like a baby a lot.” Mama said. “I’ll bet the people at the orphanage will think so too. They’ll probably force you into diapers and stuff you in the nursery with the other babies. Then you’ll be an unloved little girl all alone with only a ratty old teddy bear to keep you company.” She added coldly.

Tamara turned around and buried her face into the pillows, trying to escape Mama’s hurtful words any way she could.

“We offer you unconditional love and a happy home and you spit it back in our faces over something as silly as going to the bathroom in a diaper?” Mama asked. “I think you deserve whatever sad, lonely life you have coming to you for that.” She added.

Natalie started to cry as she listened to Mama’s tirade, and lay down next to Tamara and rubbed the sobbing girl’s back. “Please stay Tamara, I don’t want you to be an orphan.” She said with a sniffle.

“No dear, I think her mind is made up. I’ll go tell Papa.” Mama said.

Tamara pulled away from the pillow and turned to face Mama. “Wait!” she said. The young girl looked at Natalie whose eyes were as red as hers from crying. “Can Natalie and I still share a room?” she asked.

Mama smiled. “If it’s alright with Natalie.” She said.

Natalie instantly beamed. “Yeah!” she exclaimed.

“Then I guess it’s settled. You’ll stay here with us and be Natalie’s baby sister?” Mama asked.

Tamara nodded slowly after looking once again to Natalie. “Yes.” She said. “Mama.” She added after a short pause.

To Be Continued…