Dawn Of The Diapered: Prologue And Chapter One

Hey all! So I decided to do the larger scale version of this story in the hopes that it would retain the good attributes of the short story while addressing some of the stunted plot areas of it. I tried my absolute very best to make this opening portion interesting enough to hook people into wanting to read more of it, and in my own biased opinion I think I might have achieved that…maybe. I will say that this bit is somewhat short, but the following chapters will be much longer.

Anyway, this is going to be a creepy story, so expectant mothers and those of you with weak hearts may want to avoid it. In all honesty though none of you may find this scary or creepy at all if you don’t have the imagination to picture the things happening OR if I fail at writing them in a descriptive enough way…which will more likely be the case.

Before I go, please let me know the areas that I need to work on in my writing, I plan to make a go of legitimate novelization in the near future and I need all the feedback I can get. :slight_smile: Thank you for listening to my rambling, and I hope you enjoy this story and have a safe and happy Halloween!

Dawn Of The Diapered: An Invasion Of The Adulthood Snatchers Story
By: Dementia’s Knight

Prologue

Heaving breaths echoed in the tight corridor as she ran. The end was in sight, she could see the door at the end of the hall. Her mind kept cheering her on, kept pushing her to keep the pace despite her heart beating so hard that she felt it may erupt from her chest. As close as she was to the door, a symbol of her salvation from a fate she’d seen so many friends and family succumb to over the past two weeks, the sounds behind her were uncomfortably close to declare herself safe.

Dreadful memories crept to the forefront of her mind as she ran. Scenes of loved ones and strangers alike falling victim to the effects of the epidemic. The thoughts scattered to the back of her mind as she looked ahead once again. The door was a mere fifty feet from her, and she felt a swell of confidence as she closed in on it. She managed a peek at her watch as she ran, and her confidence faded again.

“Not enough time.” she thought to herself.

Her hand found the doorknob and twisted it before she flung the heavy metal door open. She slipped through the gap and breathed the fresh air of the night. The helicopter was still waiting, and relief washed over her. A quick run brought her to her escape route and she was hoisted in by the people she’d come to know as friends in the time after the outbreak.

“Everything set?” the pilot called out.

She could only nod as she struggled to regain her breath after her nearly mile long corridor sprint.

The chopper lifted off the ground and began it’s ascent as it left the facility. The group in the back watched as a flood of infected people poured from the facility. As the chopper climbed the direness of the situation was made painfully clear to them, a sea of people were gathered in the parking lot outside the station, and spread outward for what seemed like miles.

“Jesus.” one of the men said.

As she looked down at the hoard she felt regret and pity for the poor souls on the ground. She knew that they had no control over their actions, that they weren’t evil, but the fact remained that it was her or them. She wiped a tear from her cheek before she couldn’t look any longer and turned away.

“Time?” the pilot asked.

She looked at her watch. “Two minutes.” she said.

“Cutting it close.” the pilot muttered.

She nodded before she rested her head against the wall of the helicopter interior. As her eyes closed the memories came back, this time she allowed them to. She saw her husband sitting on the living room floor. She remembered thinking that he was trying to be frisky with her while the kids weren’t home when she saw him sitting naked in the middle of the room. When she saw the look on his face she knew something wasn’t right, and when he began to pee as he stared at her with a smile across his face she nearly screamed.

She saw her kids playing in the sandbox of the school playground. Her teenage son and daughter playing in a sandbox. She remembered her daughter sucking her sandy thumb while she watched her brother dig for treasure. It was when she saw her kids that she felt like giving up. Her children were the only thing she had left in the world, and now they were just like the rest of the infected. They had to drag her away when she tried to go hug them.

In all truth it was probably the memory of her kids that had spurred her to volunteer for the part she’d played in this whole mess. She figured that if she succeeded that her kids wouldn’t be amongst the infantile thousands, and if she failed she’d end up with her kids in the end. She’d secretly hoped for failure, but she knew that it might still be a possibility.

Her watch began to beep as it counted down the ten remaining seconds on the timer.

Ten.

The number of miscarriages she’d had before being blessed with two beautiful children.

Nine.

The age her son was when he fell off the jungle gym at the park and hit his head. She’d prayed the entire time he was in surgery, and was blessed with good fortune when he pulled through with no lasting damage.

Eight.

The number of years she’d dated her husband before he’d finally proposed to her.

Seven.

The fateful age that both kids got Chicken Pox.

Six.

The number of candles on her daughter’s birthday cake when she rode her bike for the first time without help.

Five.

The age of her son when a botched stealth mission brought him to the realization that the tooth fairy wasn’t real.

Four.

The number of years that her babies were still truly her babies.

Three.

The number of people that mattered the most to her in the world.

Two.

The number of nights she’d spent away from her family over the years.

One.

The number of reasons that this operation was doomed to fail.

“We’re not far enough away!” the pilot shouted as the night sky grew blindingly bright behind them.

The backpack of plastic explosives that she’d placed near the reactor core of the nuclear plant had certainly done it’s job. The bright flash faded slightly and allowed the mushroom cloud to be seen, it would have been beautiful if it didn’t also mean that they were seconds away from vaporization.

“Mommy will be with you soon.” she thought as the shockwave from the blast hit the helicopter and sent it lurching forward with a metallic groan. Alarms went off inside the small space of the craft as they began to descend. Just before the explosion enveloped the chopper she actually found herself smiling for the first time since this whole horrible event had started.

Her name is Tanya Mitchell, and this is just about where her story ends. Just about.

Part I: A Life Less Frightening

Chapter I: Something Close To Normal

The Mitchell’s were the quintessential American family. They had the house with the well maintained front lawn surrounded by a white picket fence. The two kids were also present in Brenda and Toby. Tanya and her husband Carl were the picture of a happily married couple, they rarely fought and were frequently seen sharing public displays of affection with one another.

Tanya Mitchell sat at her desk jotting appointments into her daily planner as she waited for her kids to come downstairs so she could get them to the car and ferry them to school before she went to work.

“C’mon guys, I don’t wanna be late again!” she called out after she took note of the time.

Brenda came down first, being the more responsible of Tanya’s children despite being the younger of the two. The thirteen year old reflected much of her mothers features, and with that in mind Tanya humbly believed that the girl would be very popular with the boys in the coming months and years.

Tanya’s son Toby rumbled down the stairs as he attempted to finish pulling his shirt over his head, a ritual that still astounded his mother despite her seeing it nearly every morning for the past few years. Tanya knew that Toby would be getting his learners permit soon, and with that would hopefully come the responsibility to chauffer himself to school in a timely fashion.

With both of her kids following behind, Tanya grabbed her purse and keys and left the house.

“Morning guys.” Douglas Archer, the Mitchell family’s neighbor said warmly as he saw the trio exit the house.

The three of them said their own greetings and waved goodbye to the muscularly built black man as they pulled out of the driveway and began what they had no way of knowing would be one of the last normal days of their lives.

,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø ,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤ºº°º¤ø,¸¸,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,

“I understand that Bob, but it’s not as if I can just drop what I’m doing to come and bail you out. I do have work of my own to do y’know.” Carl Mitchell explained to the man on the other end of the phone. “Look, explain to the client that he agreed to the dimensions of the lobby when he signed on with us, if he still has a problem with it give him my number and tell him to contact me personally.” he said before hanging up the phone with a heavy sigh.

The slightly balding blonde architect sat forward at his desk and rubbed his temple to try and calm the droning throb of one of his daily migraines. He looked at the picture of Tanya and the kids happily smiling as they waved from in front of Cinderella’s castle at Disneyland, the picture always helped him to find his center when he was stressed out from work, and a part of him still wished that the kids were still that young and innocent. He sighed as a memory of catching Toby sharing a beer with his friends in the garage one evening crept to the front of his mind. Despite the usual adolescent indiscretions his kids were both a source of pride for he and his wife. As the phone rang Carl felt his blood pressure rise and his brain throb, and after taking a calming deep breath he picked up the phone and began his second argument of the morning.

“Tanya Mitchell.” she said as she opened her cell phone to receive the incoming call.

“Hi Tanya, this is Travis Poulard, we have a one o’ clock meeting.” the kind voice replied.

“Yes. What can I do for you Travis?” Tanya asked as she turned the car onto the street where her office was.

Travis sighed softly before answering. “Well, I hate to do this to you, but my wife is a little under the weather, and I’m afraid that we’ll have to cancel.” he explained.

Tanya gritted her teeth. She’d been back and forth with the indecisive Poulard family for the better part of two months now on what house they were interested in purchasing, and now that she’d finally caught a glimpse of the end of her toiling the whole thing was falling apart. “Well, I’m very sorry to hear about your wife’s illness, I hope that she recovers quickly. Be sure and give me a call when she’s back on her feet and able to do a walk through. Bye bye.” she said before hanging up the phone and tossing it into the passenger seat where it skipped along and into the space between the door and the seat.

“Perfect.” Tanya said with a sigh as she pulled into her parking spot and exited the car, leaving her phone in it’s dark resting place.

Travis Poulard hung up the phone and trudged up the stairs to the bedroom to check on his wife. The room carried the faint stench of urine and feces despite the fact that his wife Rosa’s accident had been cleaned up several hours prior, the Lysol he’d sprayed it seemed had dissipated in the few hours since. He watched his wife sleep as he stood in the doorway, afraid to wake her after the trying incident she’d been through. He sighed quietly as he noticed the yellowed stain spread across the surface of the sheet that was draped over her body. Rather than disturb her, he slipped back out of the room and left Rosa to a little more rest before she woke and began crying again.

As the sun began it’s descent into the West Carl Mitchell made his way to his car as he left the office. He massaged the back of his neck to alleviate the tension so he could be relaxed and pleasant to be around when he got home. He paused when he heard a scuffle somewhere behind him in the parking structure. Looking around into the dimly lit area surrounding him he shrugged the noise off as just his imagination and resumed his trek.

A female giggle echoed in the large concrete facility as Carl took a few more steps. The noise startled him and first, and then terrified him when it happened again. The sound was obviously coming from an adult woman, but it somehow resembled a child like giggle. His pace quickened as he neared the row where his car was parked, and he fumbled inside his pocket for his keys.

“Daddy, don’t go, I wanna play.” the female voice said, although now it was much closer.

Carl looked around again, and caught a shadowy figure looming only a few dozen feet behind him. “Whoever you are, this isn’t funny.” he said, his anger building.

The figure staggered forward from the darkness on unsteady legs and revealed a girl in her mid twenties from what Carl could deduce. The woman had a small frame and a short stature, and helped to ease Carl’s mind as he believed the shadowy figure to be a very threatening mugger rather than a very attractive and diminuative girl.

“Can I help you with something?” Carl asked as the girl walked awkwardly toward him.

The girl smiled, and had the area been better lit, Carl might have noticed a thin string of drool creep from the girl’s mouth and onto the front of her shirt. “I wanna play daddy.” she said.

A chill ran through Carl when he heard the girl’s reply, it brought back memories of scary movies where a child was evil or possessed. “I’m sorry, I’m not your daddy.” he explained as calmly as he could despite his heart racing in his chest.

The girl continued her approach, and when she got close enough she leapt toward Carl. The way she pounced on him was more playful than menacing, like she was leaping into the arms of a parent, regardless of that fact, Carl tumbled backward with her on top of him.

Carl’s head hit the concrete and his vision was obscured by whiteness for a moment, he began to feel very sleepy and just before he lost consciousness he heard what he thought was the sound of the girl on top of him retching.

To Be Continued…

Hahaha, wow. This is fun. If you keep every chapter at this caliber, this will be one of the best stories on the board, period. Loving this.

:open_mouth: You hit it every time! I agree with seventyeyes - this might well be one of the best stories on the board :slight_smile: I know I would vote for it for story of the year. You style of writing doesn’t need work at all - your formulation and layout is clear and imaginative. Maybe more description for the senses - smells, tastes, sounds, texture - if I really had to pick something. If your worried about sentence structure, grammar, etc and putting it all into novel form - that’s when you get a good editor :slight_smile:

Its truly awesome :slight_smile: I can’t wait to read the next chapter!

I am glad that you decided to make this into a longer story.

It is really well done.

I love it. I love “end of civilization” type stories…plauges, zombies, etc. Please keep it coming!

-Lizzy

D. Knight, I am glad to see you continue this story type!! I can’t wait to see where you take us next!!