A Tortured Soul Chapters 1-3

Hi Folks,

I started working on this today. This is nothing like what I’ve done before. I don’t tend to like horror or suspense stories, but was particularly intrigued when this idea popped into my head. The challenge to write something that I wouldn’t usually write made it irresistible.

I originally was going to enter this story in the short story contest, but after seeing the length of the what I have already, I knew I could never keep this within the 8500 word limit, so here it is.

To those of you concerned about snuggles and tears, don’t worry, I’ll get back to it. Unfortunately, when another story idea enters my head, I have to act on it or it screws things up.

A WARNING: Some of the concepts in this will be a bit disturbing.

Enjoy!!!

BabyButt

Chapter 1

They stood before the three open graves, the smell of the churned earth pungent in the air. Laura watched as the three caskets lowered at the same time. She looked to the first one, George, her brother-in-law lay within. She had enjoyed spending time with him. The second carried her sister-in-law Ashley. She was one of Laura’s best friends, and they had spent hours on the phone over the years. The move to the west coast had cost them both a lot in phone calls. Tears streaked her cheeks anew when she understood that there would be no more talks with Ashley. Fresh sobbing overtook her when she glanced to the third. It was much smaller. The six year old little boy she had known was resting inside.

She pulled her son close, hugging him tightly, as she cried. Memories of burying her daughter only months ago cut to the quick. The long illness had been difficult, but seeing her little girl laying in that small coffin came close to destroying her. The feel of a strong arm around her shoulders brought her out of her grief enough to smell the shampoo in her son’s hair as she kissed the top of his head, enjoying the softness of his curly blonde locks.

Laura felt guilty then. Eddy’s crying had become louder when she clung to him, and she knew he was feeling her hurt. “I love you,” she whispered to him.

She felt him hug her tighter just before sobbing, “I love you, Mom.”

Laura knew this had to be difficult for Eddy. He had been devastated when his little sister passed away. She believed that while he had enjoyed his aunt and uncle’s company, it was the memory of losing his sister that had him so upset now. She couldn’t imagine what it was like to go through that at ten.

When the service ended, the three made a silent trek back to the church. As she walked, Laura watched her husband. She really felt for him. When the call came, they had all flown to California, and Jim had been the one to identify the burned bodies. Having to see your sister in such a state had to have been hard.

Jim pushed the door open and ushered them through. Laura could hear Katie crying before she saw her. She hurried to her mother’s side, and understood when Katie wrapped her arms around her, sobbing her heart out. Laura understood why Katie hadn’t wanted to go to the grave sites. She had been supportive when Katie said she didn’t want to do that.

“Why did Mom have to die?” Katie cried.

For Katie’s sake, and her own, Laura wished she knew. “I don’t know,” she cried.

“It wasn’t supposed to be like this!” Katie screamed.

“I know Honey, I know,” she tried to comfort her niece. She was glad when rubbing her back gently and rocking her back and forth in a slow motion calmed Katie.

Laura saw Jim was hugging Eddy as they both cried. She looked to her mother and said, “Let’s go home.”

The rest of the afternoon was filled with people coming by to offer their condolences. Katie didn’t stray far from Laura throughout the process. At seven thirty, the house was empty of people and Laura asked Katie if she wanted to take a bath. When she heard a somber “Okay.” from her niece, she led her down the hall to her new bedroom.

“Get some clothes to sleep in Honey, and I’ll start the bath.”

Katie began looking through the dresser as Laura headed to the bathroom. A few minutes later, the bathtub was full of bubbles and lavender could be smelled out in the hall. When she returned to Katie’s room, the sixteen year old was sitting on the bed, staring at nothing. “Come on,” Laura prompted as she took Katie’s hand and led her to the bathroom. “I’ll be right down the hall if you need me,” she said, turning to leave.

“Thank you.”

With a smile, Laura told her, “You’re welcome,” and headed to the livingroom. When she saw Eddy sitting on the couch, she sat right next to him and pulled him close with an arm wrapped around his shoulders. His small smile made her feel a lot better. “I’m proud of you Honey,” she told him with a kiss to his cheek.

“Why?”

“Because even though today was difficult, you made it through, and that’s not an easy thing to do.”

She saw tears form in those bright blue eyes as he said, “It was hard.”

“I know…” she replied, her voice breaking. She just sat holding him close, trying to get her emotions under control.

A short while later, Katie came walking down the hall. She’s so pretty, Laura thought as she looked at her niece. Katie’s long brown hair, parted in the middle, hung down below her shoulders, fanning out over the top of her nightgown. Her long, beautiful legs showed below the hem, ending in sock covered, petite feet. Laura knew that the bath had done her a lot of good when she smiled, and it reached her pretty hazel eyes. “Feel better?”

“Yes, a lot better,” Katie answered with a smile.

“Good.”

“How about some ice cream?” Jim asked the group.

Laura smiled at her husband and replied, “That’s a great idea.”

The four of them headed to the kitchen then. As they walked, Laura smiled as Katie put her arm around Eddy’s shoulder and said, “Hi Sweety,” with a poke to his ribs.

“Hi,” he laughed.

Laura could remember Katie calling him that when he was six, before she moved to California.

They enjoyed ice cream and small talk for a while, and Laura finally said, “I think it’s time for bed; it’s been a long day.”

“Good idea,” Jim agreed.

Laura was glad when the kids didn’t complain, but got up and put their bowls in the sink. She gave Eddy a hug and kiss before telling him, “Good night, Honey. Don’t forget to brush your teeth.”

With a sigh, he replied, “I know Mom, good night.”

She smiled then, sure that he hated when she reminded him to do things. He was always complaining that she treated him like a little kid. What he didn’t know is that she would occasionally check behind him and see that his toothbrush was wet. More than once she found he had skipped brushing.

“Goodnight Dad.” he said with a hug and kiss for his father.

Jim ruffled his hair and replied, “Good night son.”

Laura hugged Katie, kissed her on the cheek and said, “Good night Honey, I love you.”

With a smile, Katie kissed her and replied, “I love you too. Good night.”

Laura thought it odd when she turned to Jim, said good night and quickly left the room. “Give it time,” she told him when she saw his left eyebrow raise in question. She hugged him when he sighed and nodded his head.

Chapter 2

Eddy brushed his teeth and went to the bathroom. All the while, memories of today made their way through his thoughts. When he changed into a pair of shorts and t-shirt, the memories of his sister’s funeral came to mind, and he couldn’t help when the tears started.

He had just gotten into bed when he heard a soft knock on the door just before it started to open. He wiped the tears from his face with his sheet and looked up to see Katie close the door and come over to the bed.

“Hi Sweety,” she whispered.

“Hi.”

“You’re such a cutie, you know that?” she asked with a smile.

Getting annoyed, he told her, “I’m not a little kid.”

“Sure you are, you’ve just forgotten. I’m going to help you remember though.”

“What are you talking about?” he asked, thinking she was nuts.

“Well, the first thing your going to do is to go pee pee,” she answered, an expectant smile on her face.

“What?!” he exclaimed.

He saw her whole demeanor change in an instant. The smile was replaced with a fierce angry look, and her hand covered his mouth. “If you make your parents come in here, then I swear to you that someone will get hurt.”

The look in here eyes made his gut clench in fear. She was serious. She was also crazy.

“Do you want your mommy to get hurt?” she asked with a sneer.

Eddy quickly shook his head no as tears fell.

“Then you keep quiet and do as I say Sweety, understand?”

When he nodded his head, she took her hand away. “Please, don’t,” he cried softly.

“Nothing bad will happen as long as you do what I tell you,” she replied. A second later, he blushed as she reached under the covers, cupped the front of his sleep shorts, and told him, “All right, go pee pee Sweety.”

“I can’t,” he whimpered.

“Well then I guess Mommy’s going to have to get hurt then,” she told him.

“No, please, I just went to the bathroom. I can’t pee,” he cried.

“That’s pee pee, little boy,” she growled softly. When he didn’t respond, she whispered heatedly, “Say it!”

“I can’t pee pee,” he cried.

“That’s a good boy,” she answered with a smile. “I guess we try again tomorrow. Maybe next time, you’ll remember not to use the potty before you go to bed.”

He flinched when she leaned down and kissed his forehead and told him, “Night night, Baby.”

When he saw her start to get angry, he said, “Night night.”

She sat back, took his chin in her hand and forced him to look at her. With a cold and determined voice, she told him, “If you say anything about this to anyone, then they won’t be coming home.”

“What do you mean?” he asked, his mind refusing to understand.

“Bobby didn’t do what he was told, and now he’s dead.”

“You…what did you do?” he asked, unable to voice his suspicion.

“He didn’t do what I told him, so I had to punish him. Mom wasn’t supposed to get hurt though,” she answered, tears forming.

Eddy started to cry in earnest then. He knew with a certainty that if he didn’t do what she wanted, then she would hurt his parents, or worse. “Please…” he cried.

“Awww…don’t worry Baby, if you do what your told, then everything will be just fine, I promise,” she replied. “Now go night night. I don’t want to see you out of this bed until morning, understand?”

“Yes.” he cried.

“Good. Turn over Sweety.”

He turned on his side, facing away from her. She tucked him in, patted his bottom several times, then with a kiss to his cheek, she left, closing the door softly.

Eddy lay there, more scared than he had ever been in his life. He wanted to jump out of bed, run to his dad and tell him what she said. The certainty that was in her voice when she told him if he said anything, they wouldn’t be coming home, made him stay in his bed. He’d lost his little sister, he couldn’t bear the thought of losing his mom or dad. The tears just kept coming, and before he knew it, he had cried himself to sleep.

Chapter 3

When he opened his eyes, the first thing that occurred to him was he needed to pee badly. Next he heard his mom shout, “Jim!” The urgency in her voice had him out of bed and to the door in a second. He flung the door open just as his dad was running down the hall. Following behind, he stopped when he turned the corner and fear gripped him as Katie’s words echoed in his mind. He felt his underpants get warm and wet, and pee stream down his legs as he saw his mom standing at the sink, blood pumping from a gash in her wrist in a steady rhythm.

“What happened?” Jim asked as he gripped her forearm tight, stemming the flow.

Eddy looked at his mom’s face, saw she was as white as his sister had been the day she was buried, and broke into tears.

“I was washing my hands, and dropped my wedding band into the garbage disposal. I reached in to get it, and there was a pearing knife in there that cut me,” she explained.

Eddy was just about to scream that Katie put it there, when he heard her voice cry out, “I’m sorry! I cut some fruit up 'cause I couldn’t sleep and put the knife in the sink. I didn’t know it went into the garbage disposal,” sobbing hard.

“Yes you did!” he screamed at her.

“Eddy!” his mom scolded him. “It was an accident. Now apologize to your cousin right now!”

Sobbing now, he looked at Katie, saw that look in her eyes, and knew he had no choice. “I’m sorry,” he cried.

He didn’t feel any better when she came over and hugged him. “It’s okay Sweety, I’m sorry Aunt Laura got hurt,” she replied.

Jim was just finishing tying a rag around Laura’s forearm when he said, “We’re going to the hospital. We’ll be back in a while.” and put a metal spoon in between the rag and her arm, twisting it several times, then tying it there.

Eddy cried harder when the front door closed.

“I told you that she would get hurt if you didn’t do what your told, Sweety. I hope you learned your lesson. She could have died,” Katie scolded him.

“Please…” he cried.

“Come on, let’s get you some dry pants little boy,” she said as she took his hand and led him down the hall first to his bedroom to get clean clothes, then to the bathroom.

Eddy stood there, tears still coming as she pulled his shorts down. He put his hands on her shoulders when she told him to step out of the wet things. When she pulled his underpants down, he blushed. His face became even more red when she said, “And you said you weren’t a little boy, yet here you are getting changed out of wet pants.”

His crying was harder then, as she took a soapy washcloth and began to wipe him clean.

“It’ll be alright, Baby. You just have to do what you’re told,” in a comforting tone.

He knew she was crazy now. He also knew without a doubt that her brother and parents were dead because she killed them. “Please don’t hurt my mom.” he begged.

“Nothing bad will happen to Mommy if you behave, little boy,” she replied. “You’re not going to call her that anymore. From now on, you’re parent’s names are Mommy and Daddy, understand?”

Wanting reassurance, he pleaded, “Please don’t hurt Mommy,” as the tears continued to flow.

“Don’t worry Baby, You be a good boy, and nothing will happen to Mommy, I promise.”

When she’d wiped the soap from his skin with a warm, wet washcloth and dried him off, she held his underpants open for him to step into. He didn’t like that she was dressing him like a little kid, but didn’t dare object now. When she got his shorts into place, she patted his bottom and led him to the livingroom. She sat down on the couch, pulled him into her lap and said, “Come snuggle with me, Baby.”

Eddy wanted nothing better than to run to his room and lock the door, but allowed her to pull him close. He laid his head down on her shoulder and continued to cry. When he felt her begin to pat his bottom and rock him back and forth, he blushed, but didn’t dare say anything.

Eddy opened his eyes, noticed he was cradled in Katie’s lap like a baby, and blushed.

“Did you have a good nap Sweety?” she asked in a sweet voice.

Not wanting to make her angry, he nodded his head.

“Good boy,” she said with a smile.

He needed to use the bathroom, but when he went to get up she held him there. “Where you going Sweety?”

“I need to…” and then last night’s talk came back to him and he finished with, “pee pee,” blushing as he said it.

“Well then let’s get you to the potty then Baby,” she replied. As she led him by the hand to the bathroom, she said, “That’s what you call the bathroom from now on, got it?” with that serious look that made him need to pee a lot worse. When Eddy nodded, she asked, “Where are you going?”

With a red face, he answered, “Potty.”

“Good boy.”

Eddy went to pull the front of his pants down so he could go, but felt Katie pull his hands away. He almost started to pee in his pants and tried not to cry.

“Let me do it, little boy,” she said as she turned him around, pulled both his shorts and his underpants down to his ankles, and lifted him up to sit him down on the toilet. “That’s how little boys go pee pee, understand?”

Eddy lost the battle with his tears as he started to pee pee in the potty with her standing right in front of him. He cried harder when he realized that he was even thinking the baby terms now, such was her hold over him. When he was done, she stood him up, pulled his clothes back into place, and with a pat to his bottom, said, “Good boy.”

Katie led him back to the couch, sat down and pulled him back into her lap. “From now on Sweety, you will snuggle up with me and with your mommy several times a day, you hear me?”

Eddy tried not to cry again as he nodded his head, he felt like such a baby crying all the time. He didn’t resist as she put her hand on the side of his head and pulled it to her chest. Snuggling with her like a little boy wasn’t what he wanted, but if it would keep Mommy safe, he would do it.

Laura opened the front door to the house, and as she walked in, she noticed immediately that Eddy was snuggled up with Katie. She smiled as she thought about how nice Katie was being. When Eddy jumped up, ran to her, hugged her tight and said, “Mommy are you okay?” she was worried. He hadn’t called her Mommy in at least four years.

“I’m all right Honey, I promise. It was just a cut,” she told him, anxious at the fear in his eyes. It took her a moment to realize that with the funeral, and his sister’s death not long before, he was afraid that she would die. She tried to keep her emotions under control as she knelt down and held him close. “I’m okay Sweety, I promise.”

Eddy laid his face against her neck and cried his eyes out. He had been so scared that she had been really hurt, or worse.

She was surprised when she went to pull him back and he clung to her tightly. “Come on Honey, let’s go sit on the couch.” Only then would he let her go, but gripped her hand tightly in his. When she sat down, again she was surprised when instead of sitting next to her, he climbed up in her lap.

“I was scared you wouldn’t come back,” he admitted tearfully.

“Oh Honey, I’m alright,” she said, fighting tears. “It’s going to be okay Sweety, I promise,” she added. It was a moment later that she realized she was gently patting his bottom like she used to do when he was afraid. She considered stopping, but decided that if he needed it, then she would snuggle him like a little boy.

The rest of the afternoon and evening, she noted that Eddy spent most of his time cuddled up in either hers or Katie’s lap. She decided that when he went to bed she would give Gary a call and see how best to handle this. He had helped them through when little Amy had passed.

At nine, she looked at Eddy and said, “It’s time for bed, Honey.” When fresh tears started, she added, “How about you go brush your teeth, and get into bed, and then I come tuck you in?” She felt better when he nodded his head.

Laura smiled as Katie came over and took Eddy’s hand, leading him from the livingroom as she said, “Let’s go brush our teeth together.”

Yep… that’s defintely disturbing.

And that’s all I’ll say about that.

very interesting.

FYI, you called Eddy “Billy” at the beginning of Chapter 2. Also, it was a little difficult sorting out all the relationships at the start of the story. You keep mentioning a “mother”, as in “she hurried to her mother’s side” and “she looked to her mother.” Who is this mother?

By the way. very disturbing set-up for this story. I’m intrigued, to say the least.

Damn, thought I got all of them. Well, that’s the problem with trying to keep two stories in my head at the same time. Sorry about that folks.

Also, the mother that is referred to is Laura’s mother. Just an incidental character there, so I didn’t give her a name. You wouldn’t leave a “distraught” sixteen year old by herself as her parents and brother are buried, so I used the mother to keep things realistic.

You’re right Tommy, I could have done a better job with how the relationships were presented. I’ll look at that.

Thanks folks for the feedback.

BB

It’s a disturbing story BabyButt.

1 Like

Disturbing No
Very disturbing Yes
Will keep reading Yes
Great story ???

Remind me of the movie The Good Son?

I agree with richbaby with all the points that were presented. This story has Potential and from Snuggles and Tears, I can’t wait to see what happens.

BB you are truly a linguist. Keep the stories flowing.

Interesting.